is not a History of the Parish but Jottings on the History.
collect and store information on my computer and occasionally someone will ask
"do I know anything about an area",
I sort my files all out, try
to get the information into a logical sequence. In the case of Llanstadwell, my
original interest stems from research into the history of the Craddock/Newton
family of Newton Weir and Angle.
those interested in the History of Neyland may I suggest the chapter entitled
"The Towns of Pembrokeshire 1815-1974 in Pembrokeshire Modern History
would like to thank all those who helped make these Jottings possible especially
the staff of Pembroke Dock & Haverfordwest Public Libraries, the
Pembrokeshire Records Office, the Public Records Office.
1 898687 03 X
B H J Hughes
Before the Normans
Churches and Chapels
Population, people & Events
Wages and Employment
1 Before the Normans.
Neyland is the predominant name used to describe the area which was originally
(and still is) the parish of Llanstadwell, although the name Neyland does not
appear in written records until 1596 and not in its present spelling till 1793.
(as Lanstadhewal) on the other hand was mentioned by Giraldus Cambrensis
writing in the twelfth
century and was a well established community then, being a fertile
farming area, warmed by the waters of the Milford Haven, providing a rich
variety of sources of food.
that the area has been inhabited since early times, was of some importance being
worth defending, is supplied by names of some of the fields.
Camp Park, a field in the north east of the parish near the boundary with
Rosemarket has the scanty remains of a rath and there was another of which
traces have completely disappeared although the field name Camp meadow might
give some indication of the site as well might Mount Meadow.
In 1841 Lewis records that "some remains of two ancient British
encampments, comprising each an area of about one acre, are visible; one is
situated at the north-eastern extremity of the parish, nearly opposite the
village of Rhosmarket, and the other at its south-western extremity, on a point
on the shore of Milford Haven. "Would the latter have been in part of the
area now utilised by the Refinery?
the field names into consideration the old field names of Longstone, Longstone
Park, Longstone Meadow near Waterston could indicate that in the long distant
past that here could have been the site of a burial chamber but that all traces
have been destroyed. There is of course one in the next parish of Burton. Bronze
age man also left his mark with a scattering of burnt mounds, low mounds of
burnt cracked stone situated near a stream, the remains, it is presumed, of
early to middle Bronze age cooking sites.
the coming of Christianity to the area, the name Llanstadwell, a Celtic
enclosure or church site (Llan) coupled with what would appear to be the name of
the Saint to whom the church is dedicated (Tudwal), would suggest a very early
Celtic Christian settlement. There have been questions raised about the name of
the Saint as St Tudwal is more usually associated with Churches in the north of
Wales. Certainly the settlement was one of importance with a ruling Welsh family
or clas whose were direct descendants of Howell Dda the last Welsh ruler of the
whole of Wales and the great law giver with a palace at Whitland. A family whose
descendants played a very important part in the life of Pembrokeshire and of
with many of the towns of the area Llanstadwell
today appears insignificant but in 1578 it was important enough to appear
on the first map of Pembrokeshire by Christopher Saxon who under the authority
of Queen Elizabeth I, surveyed the whole of England and Wales. His map of
Pembrokeshire is dated 1578 and both Llanstadwell and Newton appear on it. They
both appear on Speede's map of 1610 and Llanstadwell is recorded on Capt.
Collin's Navigational Chart of the Milford Haven compiled in the 1690's. Nayland,
Llanstadwell and Newton are shown by Lewis Morris on his plan of Milford Haven
published on the 29th September 1748.
to a survey of Crown lands in 1623-4; it was apparent that the remnants of the
old manorial system was still in existence in the area, with tenants farming
several small pieces of land intermingled with that of their fellow tenants and
at that time it was recommended that the various holdings should be consolidated
so that the tenants could enclose them, but this process still had not been
completed by the mid 1700's in Llanstadwell and not till the 1800's in
2 Churches & Chapels.
Parish Church Dedicated to St Tudwell
would be very safe to assume that the present
Church has Celtic origins and that there was a church on the site
founded well before the Norman period dedicated to a Saint Tadwell or
very little known of origins except that he was a native of Britain and his
mothers name was Pompaea (was he of Romano British descent ?) He
was reputed to be by the Celtic Church a Saint and Bishop and spent much time in
Brittany around Leon. About this period many of the "Saints" of
Britain left the country to avoid the "Yellow" plague, was he one of
them? It is alleged that he left Britain with his mother and 72 monks and spent
the rest of his life working in abroad. One of his foundations was a large
monastery at Trequier called "Val Trechor"
He is said to have died on November 30th 553 AD. (So little is known
about him that it is difficult to find any link between him and Llanstadwell -
did he establish the first Llan there before he went abroad or did one of his
followers or monks?)
present Church, unfortunately, like so may of our local churches has been
Victorianised although there are still signs in the base of some of the walls
and in the interior of earlier work. Laws records that the Church had one of the
very few examples of Norman architecture in the county, a round late Norman
arch. The tall tower at the west end is reputed to have been originally 15c and
the nave, chancel and the north chapel could date from the 13c. The Piscine is
probably of that date as well. There is a blocked lancet window on the north
side of the chancel and a squint in the north chapel. The floor and walls were
raised several feet in 1876 and the porch, vestry, south transept porch and
windows all date from that time. The Royal Commission of Ancient Monuments says
that it was "most drastically restored in 1876 when both walls and floor
were raised 4 ft." The font has a modern circular shaft and square base.
The Elizabethan Communion Cup gave the name as Lanstetwall.
to the Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments:
building (most drastically restored in 1876 when both walls and floor were
raised 4 ft.) consists of Chancel (16 1/2 ft. by 16 ft.) nave (27ft. by 17 ft.)
west tower (17 ft square)In the north wall of the chancel are traces of a single
light now blocked. In the south wall is a plain piscina. The chancel arch is
modern. The recent alterations have concealed a squint from the chancel to the
north transept. All the windows of the building are modern, as are the north
porch and doorway. The font (29in by 25 in., with basin 19in by 18 in) is plain
and stands on a modern circular shaft and square base. The tower of three
stages, has a plain corbel table and battlements, with a string course about mid
height. In the north east angle is the stair turret containing 75 stairs. The
lower story of the tower is vaulted; it opens to the nave by a plain pointed
arch, but has no external doorway.
Manor and Church originally belonged to the Bishop of St David's but Giraldus
That in the period between 1115 and 1148 while Bernard was Bishop of St David's
that the lands alienated by Wilfred (the previous Bishop) and the manora of
Lanstadhewal and St Ysmael on Milverdic haven, occupied by newcomers and
strangers, were not recovered by him or any other afterwards.
would appear that the newcomers and strangers that Giraldus was talking about
were the monks of the priory of Black Canons founded by Robert Fitz Richard
castellan and lord of Haverfordwest, called also Robert de Hwlfoordd, who
founded a priory on the bank of the river, a short distance from the town, a
priory of in which he afterwards passed the remainder of his life.
to the Taxatio of 1291 it is referred to as "Lanstowel" and valued at
4d which made it one of the poorer churches belonging to the priory, only
Dale having a lower value. The fact that the parish was not of great value would
have put a tremendous strain on the resources of Thomas Balymore, Vicar of
Llanstadwell in 1393 when he entertained Richard II at his house, the King
awaiting passage to Ireland but was delayed by bad weather.
He was reimbursed though as it is recorded that on August 25th 1393 1
payment of 40 shillings was made to the Vicar. The financial situation had not
improved by 1517 as it was recorded that Llanstadwell excepted from paying the 2
tenths tax granted to the lord King because
it was so poor. To emphasis this,
when taxed in 1543 The Churchwardens of Llanstadwell, David Webbe and Robert
Broune had to collect 11d, Burton whose Churchwardens at the time were Watkyn
Colen and William Goodrige had to find 3s 2d.
after the dissolution, the rectory was on 10th May 1545 (with others) leased to
Sir Henry Jones, of the king's household, for 21 years
and by 1610 William Walters of Roch owned the rectory of Llanstadwell. The
financial situation had not improved very much in spite of the change of
ownership and in 1671 the living was valued at £74, another record of seven
years later states that this was one of the parishes whose parsonage was
recorded as either inadequate or out of repair. How large a congregation
attended the Church during this time is not recorded but there are records which
show that at Easter 1758 there were 80 communicants out of a possible 130.
1795 Lewis Child, who held estates at Begelly and Newton, bought the tithes of
Llanstadwell. He paid 3000 guineas for them and in 1841 Lewis records that the
living is a discharged vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of St David's
rated in the king's books at £7. 17s
endowed with £200 royal bounty and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the
patronage of Lewis Child esq., to whom two thirds of the great and small tithes
were impropriated, the remaining third belonging to the vicar. Mr Child has
recently disposed of the greater part of his tithes to the respective
proprietors of the lands. The church, dedicated to St Tudwal, is an ancient
structure in good repair, pleasantly situated on the margin of the haven, in the
southern part of the parish.
parish covered an area of 3971 acres in 1851
with a total population of 905 of which 431 were male and 474 female. The income
consisted of endowed land £11; tithe £109; glebe £4 fees. The church could
seat 175 of which 50 seats were free and the average attendance was recorded as
110 plus 20 scholars. The Vicar,
Rev. Joseph Tombs lived in Hill St Haverfordwest so would have had to travel
that distance to take services or to visit parishioners.
Church registers are archived in the National Library of Wales and cover the
periods; Baptisms 1714 - 1904
1714 - 1892: Burials 1714- 1903}
Green and T. W. Barker in "Pembrokeshire Parsons" list the Vicars who
have served the parish as
Hugh Baker - vicar had an income of £8 per annum 
John Pobling vicar of Llanstadwell - granted a licence to hold more than
Dec. 31 Thomas Stevins
Mar 9 Abraham Rede
Nov. 13 John Vaughan
May 14 John Prichard
Oct. 26 Marc Carre
vicar of Llanstadwell removed from his living because he refused to comply with
the Act of Uniformity and use the Book of Common Prayer - returned to his former
trade of hatter. He was a supporter of Peregrine Phillips and in 1663 both
Peregrine Phillips and John Luntley together with four people from Narberth were
prosecuted for refusing to attend the parish church - in 1668 John Luntley -
described as "the miller" established a Non-Conformist church at
Jan. 31 Thomas Price
Feb. 2 John
Sep 23 Thomas Davies
Aug. 9 John
Jun. 15 John Jordan MA
Jul. 1 John
Jan. 22 Benjamin Gibbon
Mar 4 Thomas Owen
Jan. 1 Joseph
Jan. 12 Peter Phelps
Mar 23 Henry Sheppard
Apr. 28 Henry Philip
William Hughes LLD
Sep 28 John Echlin
Mar 14 George Valentine
Sep 2 Lacy Henry
Rumsey MA (services where held at 11am and 6pm)
Jul. 1 David Lewis
there was a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Waterston, Llanstadwell parish. This
came under the Pembroke circuit and
was built in 1836, had a membership of about 50 with seats for 60 of which 50
were free but had declined greatly
in numbers by 1890. But was still in
use in October 20th 1937 when it had been agreed to close the Wesleyan Methodist
Chapel at Pennar Pembroke Dock to surrender the lease for the Chapel and the
house to the Orielton estate and to dispose of the contents. The Pulpit and
Organ were sold to Waterston Chapel for £1 each.
The Wesleyan's at Neyland had been using the Ferry Schoolroom (see
Education) but it was not very satisfactory. The building was in a very poor
state of repair, cold and with little furniture, and although they only used it
one day they had to pay 15 shillings a year rent.
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built at Neyland in 1850 this
could accommodate 157 seats of which there were 70 free. Sunday
Services were held at 10 30am and 6pm with an average attendance in 1851
morning 50 + 30 scholars, evening 100 + 15 scholars. Thomas Evans was
appointed Steward, he was a Joiner and lived in Neyland. It was built between
Hazelbeach and Neyland close to the Shore and because it was exposed to all the
harsh winter winds of the Haven was very cold.
When the Chapel was built the population it would cater for was said to
be about 200 but they miscalculated, when it was built, the direction and size
in which the town would expand.
a meeting held in the Wesleyan Chapel Pembroke Dock on Saturday 5th May 1877 it
was agreed to build a new Chapel, and trustees appointed for the building. They
were Rev. J. Harris, Rev. E. H. Maidment, Mr. G. Coppleston, Mr. Skyrme, Mr.
Jones, Mr. Williams, Mr. Brown, Mr. R. Rees, Mr. J. Green, Mr. A. Traylor.
Foundation stone was laid by E. Lort Phillips at 3pm on 21st May 1877 and the
Pembroke Dock Chapel Choir attended. The
architect appointed was Mr Ladd at a commission of 3% of the total cost of the
building and he offered to donate £5 of his commission to the building fund.
The total cost including £100 for the value of the ground rent was expected to
architect was requested to apply for tenders for the construction but when, at a
meeting at Pembroke Dock, the tenders were opened they were all over the
estimate and the decision was postponed for a week to enable methods of
obtaining additional funds to be considered. Finally the tender of Messrs
Wilkins and Young was accepted on 23rd July 1877 with the proviso that work was
to start immediately. Work did, but
may be too quickly as later a deduction was made on the amount paid to the
builder because of the omission of the Damp Proof course in the foundation of
after one of the guiding lights on the move to build the new Chapel, Rev. E.
Maidment left the circuit.
List of Trustees who signed the lease is as follows:-
Forman of Engine Drivers
Manager of Bank
Theobald Davies Postmaster
Auctioneer and Land Agent
Nelson Trayler Courier
Vallick Copplestone Foreman
H M Dockyard
Foreman Ordinance Depot
new Chapel was opened on 15th July 1878 and Mr Jones was appointed Chapel
Steward but there were problems.
Trustees were not satisfied with the quality of the work.
Contractor and Architect were summoned to a meeting with the trustees at which
the following points were raised:-
trustees were not satisfied as to the strength of the roof (this had to be
strengthened in 1893). There were problems with the Cornice, the thickness of
the walls did not meet specification (buttresses had to be added in 1893),
problems with the partitions in the schoolroom, no damp course installed,
defective hinges on the pew doors and the floor boards which should have been 1
1/4 inches thick were only 1 1/8".
the original lease of the land permission had been given for the construction of
a Chapel Caretakers house, in 1884 (10th Dec.) the Trustees applied to Mr.
Phillips for permission to build a Minister's House instead.
Chapel was licensed for marriages in January 1887 although the Chapel did not
have a safe to keep records in and had to use a deed box. The Trustees agreed to
give a Bible and Hymn book to the first couple married there.
were still unresolved problems with the building and, at a meeting on June 23rd
1893, it was agreed to strengthen the present building and provide additional
accommodation in it, partly by the installation of a gallery, although later
there would be complaints about the behaviour of children in the gallery during
services. It was also considered as to the feasibility of erecting a new Sunday
School and suitable classrooms. There was some delay in approving the plans and
raising the funds but work, with the exception of the new schoolroom was
undertaken in 1897. By 1922 it was found that the windows were in a very poor
state and that year new windows were fitted by Camm & Co. of Birmingham at a
cost of £105.
Baptist Chapel was built in Honeyborough 1840.
Wilcock, James Jones and Thomas Roberts of Hayston; all three members of the
Baptist Church Pope Hill obtained permission in 1835 from Mr Magdon the
schoolmaster of the school at Waterston to
use the schoolroom on Sundays for
Services The first who preached in the schoolroom was Mr. Henry Williams of
Sardis; and the second was Mr. John Williams of Bethany, Pembroke Dock, who
subsequently became a minister in New Zealand. The Rev. James Hughes Thomas,
Molleston, was also among the early preachers at Waterston
Baptist After a short while Mr.
Harris, a Home Missionary was appointed to take charge
and the congregation gradually increased. It soon became apparent that a
larger purpose built chapel was necessary, so some members of the congregation
approached Mr. James of Honeyborough, requesting him to let them on lease a
piece of ground on which to build a chapel. Mr James granted them a lease for a
number of years at a very nominal rent. Mr William Rees, solicitor,
Haverfordwest, who was very well known for the practical interest he took in the
new churches springing up at this time in the county, prepared the necessary
conveyance. Meanwhile services were held in a barn in Little Honeyborough, as
the accommodation at Waterston was insufficient and a Sunday School established
which was well attended. As there seemed that
the Home Mission was indefinitely delayed the building of the much needed
chapel, Mr Evans formed a committee of a few members they undertook the work,
and by their co-operation
they had the joy of seeing their "Hephzibah" as they named it,
opened for Divine Services. This took place in the year 1840. The chapel was
subsequently handed over to the Committee of the Home Mission, who provided the
preaching supplies for some time. The
new Chapel could accommodate 200 free seats 130 other 70.
first minister of the church was the Rev. D. J. Morgan of Sardis. He was
succeeded by the Rev. Thomas, Pope Hill. He was followed by the Rev Samuel Burn
who had the oversight of the church for five years. Following Mr Burn, comes the
name of the Rev Thomas D Matthias, during which time the chapel was enlarged and
the interior re-arranged. The Rev James Williams, later of Beulah, Dowlais,
succeeded Mr Matthias, and ministered to this church for three years. In January
1874, the Rev William Gay settled here as minister of the church and Sardis and
after for two years, left in 1876 for Yorkshire where he became minister of the
Baptist Church, Golcar, Huddersfield. In October 1876, this church in
conjunction with Sardis, gave a hearty invitation to the Rev James Johns of
Bethlehem and Salem. Rev J John ministered
to the congregation for 18 years till in 1894,
he left to take the ministerial over sight of Horeb Baptist Church,
Blaenavon, Mon., where he died June 1896 at the age of 47 years. His body was
brought from Blaenavon, Monmouthshire, and was laid to rest in Sardis burial
ground. In 1895, this church invited the Rev. David Lewis to minister to them.
the year 1904, much needed renovations and repairs were required to the chapel
which necessitated massive fund-raising but such was the enthusiasm that at the
reopening service they realised even more than they actually required.
deacons in 1907 of the church were:- Messrs.
James Davies, Charles Jones, Edward Harries, Caleb Bevans, John Jones,
William Edmond, Thomas Thomas, James Hire and James Thomas. The assistant
preachers were Messrs. G.H. Biddlecombe and J. Wilcox.
Chapel formed in 1863.
Baptist Chapel was built here, and a Church formed about ten or eleven years
prior to the above date. a man named Peter Scurlock leased a piece of
ground from the Lawrenny Estate, situated near the Railway Station, where
a chapel was built in 1850 for Baptists to assemble for divine worship There was
seating accommodation for 240 with an average general congregation, in 1851, of
73 with 70 scholars. Mr. John Edwards was listed as the Manager, he was a
Leading Man of Shipwrights. The
following eleven trustees were elected: Messrs
John Jones, Honeyborough; Thomas Evans, Neyland; W. George, Barn Lake;
John Edwards, Neyland and Benjamin Scurlock, Thomas Brown, John Molland, John
Mumford, Owen Jones, John Griffiths, William John of
Pembroke Dock. That seven of the eleven trustees were from Pembroke Dock,
and connected with Bethel Baptist Church, Bush St., and it is presumed that
Bethel Church took some part in initiating and supporting this chapel. But it
only existed for about seven years, for in 1858, Mr William Rees, solicitor,
Haverfordwest, acting on behalf of the Church and trustees, sold it to the great
Western Railway Company, who wanted the property for their own use, as its
closeness to the newly built railway with the extensive traffic would render it
inconvenient, if not wholly impracticable for its original purpose as a place of
worship. After the liabilities of the chapel were paid, there was a balance in
hand with Mr Rees of £178 4s
10d., which he invested in interest for the Church until a suitable site
and building were secured. Four or five years however elapsed before any
practical steps were taken
1862, a lease of the present site was granted by the Lawrenny Estate for 99
years at a ground rent of £1 a year to Mr. David Reynolds. New trustees were
elected, a chapel built at a cost of £367 6s
2d., and opened in 1863, and the Church was constitutionally formed. The
money from the old chapel which Mr Rees had invested, together with the
interest, considerably reduced the
debt on the new chapel .The first minister
of this Church was Rev Ebenezer Edwards, who formally settled here in May 1864
but he resigned in March 1865. In
August 1865 the Rev. David Lewis, who had completed his studies at Haverfordwest
College, was ordained minister, he served until July 1871. For fourteen months
after the resignation of Mr. Lewis, the Church had no minister.
In September 1872, Rev. Morgan Humphrey Jones, who also studied at
Haverfordwest College, was ordained its minister and stayed for five years.
Again a Student of Haverfordwest College was chosen. Rev Joseph Watkins Edwards,
was ordained here September 1878, he died in
March 1888, and in November 1888 Rev
David Howells was invited to become minister, he resigned in December 1893 to
become the minister of Penrhiwceiber Baptist Church. In June 1894, the Rev
Benjamin Chubb Evans took oversight of the church. At this time new and more
commodious chapel was felt to be necessary. For some years they had been
collecting for this purpose, and it was felt that the time had arrived for them
to rise and build. So, in the Spring of 1902, the foundation stone was laid, and
in October 1903, the chapel, capable of holding 600 persons was opened for
Divine worship. The estimated value of this property was £2000. The new Chapel,
stands in front of the old one.
1907 according to returns to the Association its Church membership was 292.
deacons of the Church were:- Messrs. William Williams, Philip Philips, John
Davies, D. P. Davies, James Davies, Levi Phillips, John Evans and Edward
Calvinistic Methodist Church (Zion)
Neyland Chapel was built in the year 1861 and opened in the
September 1861. . Its first deacon was Mr John Hughes of Leonardston
Farm, brother of the Mr James Hughes of Froghall, who had been a well known
deacon of the church at Wiston. Mr John Hughes, like his brother, was born and
bred a Calvinistic Methodist. Before the building of the chapel, a Sunday School
had been established as far back as 1859. It was held first in the house of
David and Mary Ann George, Charles St. Afterwards, the school was removed to a
larger room in the house of one John Evans, in the same street, where it
remained till the opening of the chapel. Among the first children who attended
the school were Thomas and James and Mary Ann Woodcock. Mrs Woodcock was a
member of the church at Pembroke Dock, but the family had removed to Neyland,
and she was transferred and became the senior member of the Neyland Church.
Other names given as among the first scholars are George, Margaret, and Sarah
Williams, the last named becoming Mrs Evans, of Bufferland, Pembroke Dock., also
Mr. Peter Evans, Neyland Vale. The superintendent was Elias Harries, Pembroke
Dock. He was accompanied by Mr. Theophilus Jones, Mr. Joseph Merriman and
others. He had done similar pioneer work before at Burton. The same brethren
also conducted prayer meetings on Sunday evenings, and occasionally too on week
evenings in the house of Mr John Morgan, a goods guard on the Great Western
Railway, who came from Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, to Neyland after the
completion of the line to what was then called New Milford
the chapel was opened, Elias Harries brought over the choir of the Pembroke Dock
opening service was conducted by the late Rev. Moses Williams, then of
Carmarthen. The Revs. W. Powell and Lewis Evans were also present; and the Rev.
David Howell of Swansea preached on the occasion. Mr. Williams was asked and
decided to remove from Carmarthen to Neyland. He commenced his ministry in
addition to Mrs. Woodcock, Mr. and Mrs. John Morgan, Mr. and Mrs. John Hughes,
already named, the church was joined early by Mr. Caesar Evans, Mr. and Mrs.
Llewellyn, Waterston, Mr. and Mrs. George Davies, Mr. John Griffiths, Mr.
Patrick, Church Lake, Mr. Taylor, Mr. Snoddy, and several others. Mr. Powell and
Mr. Lewis Evans visited families to encourage them to join the church.
church in Neyland made good progress, and in ten years, it needed improved
accommodation and a room for the Sunday School,
alterations included the installation of a gallery with a harmonium, a
schoolroom, new pews, and a new pulpit. The renovated church reopened on Sunday,
26th of November 1871 when the Rev.
William Powell, Pembroke preached in the morning and the collections amounted to
£25/5/-. Cost of the total renovation, together with the harmonium had been £350.
But in March 1874, the Rev. Moses Williams left and he was succeeded by
the Rev. T. M. Davies, then of Haverfordwest, came to be minister of the church
at Neyland, where he remained till 1881. He was followed by the Rev. Thomas
Morgan, who held the ministry from 1882 till 1888. Both Mr. Davies and Mr.
Morgan went to Australia. The next minister of Neyland was the Rev. J. R.
Hughes, from 1889 - 1894, and he was followed by Rev. B. P. Morris, from 1895 -
1905. It was during this latter period that, a house in John Street was bought
for a manse.
after the first deacon of the Church Mr. John Hughes formerly of Leonardston,
but latterly of Hazelbeach, where he died about the year 1890, Mr. John Morgan,
the guard, and Mr. John Griffiths were added to the diaconate. Later on in Mr.
Davies' time Mr. G. E. Stephens and Mr. Jas. Llewelyn were selected for the
office followed by Dr. Symmons and Mr. Rees. The next elected to be a deacon was
Mr. John Edwards and shortly afterwards, Mr. Walter Evans and Mr. Wm. Davies. In
1904, the following were elected deacons, - G. E. Stephens, F. Davies, Vaughan
Aveston, Morris Evans, and John Potter. September
1911, the following were chosen, - Thomas Evans, son of the late Caesar Evans,
D. O. Jones, the choir master, J. Myers, and Stanley Williams.
Bicentenary Memorial Congregational Church.
Church was established in January 1862 with a membership of 18 which soon grew
to 80. In July 1864 the foundation stone of the Chapel was laid by Mr. H. O.
Wills, and was opened in 1865.
first Minister, Rev. T. Davies of Morecambe came in 1867 and remained until
1871. He was followed by the Rev. E. Griffiths (1872 - 1879) who left for the
USA. In 1880 came the Rev. Owen Jacobs, who left for Albany, Haverfordwest in
1887. The Rev. W. Powell succeeded him in 1888. The later died in January 1925
having served the Church for 37 years. He was followed by the Rev. T. O. Jones
(1928 - 1939) and the Rev. G. Tegfryn Williams (1940 - 1948)
3 Population, people & events (facts
find it very difficult to accept figures for population
before the first Census as there seems to be so many different
calculations used as to the average number of people in each households,
some say four, some say four point two. What I also find disturbing is
that in one hundred years according to the statistics, population can double (31
households in 1563 to 71 households in 1670 and yet for the next 130 remain
relatively stable increasing by one household only, yet records show that there
was some industrial development during that period (see Chapter on Industry).
population given for 1801 was 386 which slowly increased over the next ten years
to 484. In 1814 saw the start of the Dockyard at Paterchurch, large numbers of
tradesmen moved from other dockyards to the area, some labourers moved off the
farms with the hope of securing better paid, less seasonal work. Accommodation
was at a premium. A new town was springing up at Paterchurch, people were so
desperate for accommodation that they were moving into houses before the floors
were put in. Some of the houses were very overcrowded others were so small there
wasn't really room to "swing a cat".
Workmen were travelling up from Milford by boat, and from Llangum, so it
is not surprising that the population of Llanstadwell, just across the water,
nearly doubled in the next ten years It would appear that very strong links
built up in those early years, as, in the Directories of the time, Llanstadwell
and Neyland are included with Pembroke Dock. From then till the start of work on
the railway terminal the population increased by about one hundred every ten
year period until by 1851 it had reached 905.
By 1861 coinciding with the establishment of the Railway terminal at
Neyland and the Steam Packet
Service the population had increased to 1745 and carried on increasing by
another 800 in the next ten years then by approximately another 500 per ten
years till it reached 3641 in 1891. In 1900 the Neyland Urban District was
formed from part of the old district of Llanstadwell.
it comes to people:-
1325 Alexander Robelyn held lands from the Lord of Haverfordwest at Honyburgh (Honeyborough),
the rent for six months was £9 1s
He had died by 1327 and his heir was a minor.
David Bateman of Llanstadwell served
on a jury summoned to survey boundaries of Mawlens Chapel and an acre of ground
in the Mawlens Layes.
March - plague was rife in the area - Newton,Waterston and Honeyborough
were places specifically mentioned. (The bodies of several young sailors wrapped
in their hammocks were discovered buried in the mud near the site of the
Cleddeau bridge during construction. It
is thought they were victims of bubonic plague and could have been buried
secretly to avoid the ship being quarantined.
One had a coin of 1650 on him - is it a coincidence that Haverfordwest
& Llanstadwell was visited by the bubonic plague in 1651/52?
Hearth Tax 1670
(Gives the name of the
head of every household in the parish and how many hearths they paid tax on -
"p" after the name it signifies they are listed as paupers )
John Seare (Senior) 2
John Seare (Junior) 1
Thomas Thomas 1
Elizabeth Lloyd 4
William Bateman 1
William Mordaunt, esq. 7
Nicholas Day 2
Widdow Collins 1
John Child 1
John Finn 1
William Long 2
David Bateman 1
Evan Owen 1
Henry Tasker 1
Nicholas Warlow 1
William Moore 1
William Webbe 1
Morgan David 1
William Mangrell 1
Phillip Taylor 1
Thomas Allen 2
William Bateman 2
William Keney p
William Gudrich p
Honer Love p
John Thomas p
William Evans p
Francis Cullan p
Henry Vinn p
David Jacob p
William Walter p
Llewhelin Harryes p
Rice Hughes p
John Taylor p
Richard Webbe p
Thomas Jones p
Nicholas Allen p
John Arnold p
Thomas Millard p
Thomas Warlow p
Morice Thomas p
William Hurlow p
Mary Tucker p
Anne Adams ( spinster) p
Rice Howell p
Ellenor Carew p
Anne Hendy p
John Edward p
Thomas Kenney p
Robert Robert p
John Folland p
David Webb p
Anne Seare p
Dorothy Hurlow p
Richard Jordan p
Anne Tayler p
Maude Smyth p
Thomas Moore p
William Jacob p
Hugh Furlong p
William Griffiths p
Mary Howell p
Joan Mangrell p
Ellinor Thomas p
Francis Griffiths p
John Longman p
Mary Lee p
David John p
Ellinor David p
David Thomas p
Charles Dolson of Llanstadwell refused to take the oath of allegiance to the
king - he was in good company - so did among others, Essex Meyrick of Bush and
Sir John Barlow of Slebech.
- Thomas Bowen gent., of Jordanston mortgaged
his property for £2,350. He owned land
in Lampeter Velfrey, Crinow, LLanrheithan and Haverfordwest.
April 21st Thomas Jenkins of Llanstadwell, a labourer, found guilty of stealing
money was condemned to death but was
pardoned by the king and transported to America for fourteen years.
Rees of Middle Scoveston Llanstadwell married
Esther Scone of Hodgeston
- she was born 25th Dec. 1812
and died 6th Oct. 1884.
1841 it was stated that the average annual expenditure for the maintenance of
the poor of Llanstadwell is £267.13s. unfortunately it does not give further
the time Lewis wrote " in the
vicinity are several good houses, of which there are within the parish,
Jordanston, the property of the Rev. Thomas Wilson; Hayston, the residence of R.
Matthias, Esq.; and Newton a dilapidated old house on a valuable estate
belonging to Lewis Child, Esq."
in 1810 describes Newton boasting of the most delightful views of the harbour,
now the comfortable residence of Lewis Child Esq. retains nothing of any
pristine dignity in the point of
habitation, but possesses, what is of infinitely more importance than a few
ruined arches to exercise the fancy of the antiquary, a soil of the first
quality, which the present proprietor, as a judicious and discerning
agriculturist knows how to appreciate, and cultivates with spirit and success.
Child family held estates at Begelly and John Child of Begelly was Sheriff of
the County of Pembroke in 1724 he is believed to have married Prudence Brown of
Bristol. The family also had strong links with the Phillips of Picton Castle.
Matthias of Hayston was involved with the Society for the Encouragement of
Agriculture and Internal Improvement in the County of Pembroke and was a prize
winner at the shows.
to Hunts Directory 1851 included in the list of Nobility, Gentry and Clergy for
Pembroke &c are:-
Lewis R N St
Thomas Owen incumbent of Llanstadwell lived at Pembroke
Thomas Thomas, Baptist Minister, Honeyborough
John Vaillant, Scoverston
John Rogers Neyland
John Rhodes Neyland
John Thomas Hazelbridge
and Public Houses
Shipwrights Arms Neyland
-William Robertson Hazelbeach
masons - John Thomas Neyland
1853 according to Mason the weather was just as unreliable as it is today:
Field Day in the summer of 1853 was announced to be a special one. The troops of
the royal Dockyard Battalion, all volunteers from the Pembroke Dock Dockyard
workforce, were to be conveyed across the water with every equipment for
service. The day arrived with a beautiful fine morning, which induced thousands
of spectators to cross over to Neyland, Milford and Haverfordwest also furnished
their quota. Shortly after noon, a great number of boats loaded with soldiers,
shot out from the Dockyard, crossed over to the north side of the haven and
landed on the beach between Neyland Point and Church-lake. The regiment formed
up with field guns and marched with the splendid band to a field at the gale
near great Honeyborough. It was a sight to remember. The battalion was drawn up
in line in an oblong space reserved for the review ground, and an immense
concourse of people surrounded, the ladies dressed in their lightest summer
attire and straw hats being conspicuous among the gentlemen. The battalion went
through various evolution's splendidly, and at about 3.30pm, the field guns were
being exercised and several rounds fired. The first concussion of this firing
produced a slight rain, and as the firing went on the sky assumed a black,
threatening appearance, which suddenly broke out into a terrible thunderstorm.
Vivid flashes of lightening flew in every direction and the rain descended in a
devastating rush, which scattered the people to seek for shelter. This could not
be found, there being only a few houses near at hand. Everybody seemed to be
almost immediately saturated, and the ladies looked most pitiable in their wet
flimsy garments. the review was cut short, and the battalion limbered up guns
and marched off the field en route for their boats, to re-cross to the Dockyard,
but when they reached the road, which had become a quagmire crowded with people
going in the direction of the beach, the scene could only be likened to the
final attack of the French at the battle of Waterloo. "They got
mixed." It was impossible to keep
anything like formation, and the word was passed to "Get to the boats the
best way you can." The result was that about a third did not reach the
boats, some went directly home and others found themselves in Haverfordwest."
parents of Sir William Thorne ex-Lord
Mayor of Cape Town (who for eminent service was one of those selected to receive
King Edward' the Seventh's Coronation honours) lie in the north west corner of
the Churchyard. The headstone informs the onlooker that Mrs. Thorne was born
Celia George (Hook) in 1806, and died at Llanstadwell in March 1879, and John
Thorne died 14th September 1882 ,
was the population increase that by 1884 Kelly's directory lists
William Tonkin, Great Eastern Terr.
Beal, Mrs Neyland Terr
Capt. Enoch, High St
Edgeley, Joseph, High St
Capt. Hugh, Neyland Hill House
Ferrier, William, High St.
Harris, William, 15 Neyland
Rev James, [Baptist] High St
Capt. Squire Thornton Stratford RN, Neyland House
Rev Thomas, [Presbyterian] High St
Patrick, Miss, Great Eastern Terr
Poulson, John, Milford
Raynes, Henry, Great Eastern Terr.
Aitken, William, supt.
engineer GWR Marine Dept. Neyland Cottage.
Wllm, general draper, Manchester House
Mary & Martha ( Misses) grocers
&c. Picton Terr
Joseph. New Inn
Wm Bristol Temperance hotel
James, butcher, Picton Place
Edward and George, drapers London House
William Woodsell, plasterer, High St
& Company, agents to the Great Western Railway & City of Cork Steam
Packet Companies, steam ship owners, coal and general merchants, Steam
towing offices, New Milford
Club ( George Rees
sec.) High St.
Elizh. ( Mrs), Picton
Martha ( Mrs), shopkeeper, Picton Place
William, tailor, Middle Street
Joshua, grocer, Picton Place
Evans, Morris, tailor,
(Mrs) shopkeeper. Picton Place.
Western Railway Marine Supt's Office ( Capt. Squire Thornton Stratford Lecky RN
marine supt. Wm. Harris chief clerk)
John, family grocer and tea dealer, Blenheim House & at Meyrick Street
John, grocer and ironmonger, High St.
William George, station master, New Milford station.
Frederick Lloyd, stationer High St.
George, builder, High St.
James, builder and boot & shoe dealer, Picton Place.
John, butcher, Picton Place
William, chief clerk marine Supt's office G W R. 15 Neyland Terr.
Jane, Mariner's hotel, Picton
William , London Coffee house, Picton
Terr [[ his brother Thomas ( a
master tailor) emigrated to USA in 1856 the family originally came from Dale but
had lived in Lewis st Pembroke Dock]]
Jacob David, draper, Compton House
Dora Fanny, (Miss) fancy repository, High St.
Charles, supt. GWR. High St.
Henry, grocer, Picton Place
John, Foresters inn
Margaret, (Mrs) lodging house Great Eastern Terrace
James Bowen, Globe inn
William, tailor, High Street
Joshua, ship, yacht & boat builder, mast and spar maker, New Milford ship
Wm. butcher, Claverton House
Wm. lodging ho. Gt. Eastern Terr.
William, shoe maker
David, grocer, Lawrenny Terr.
Thos, master mariner, Picton Terr.
Maria, ( Mrs ) cowkeeper
Thos, lodging ho. 4 Picton Terr.
Roderick, Sarah Ann ( Mrs
) Coburg inn
Thomas, ironmonger, High St.
Wm. ironmonger, Picton Place.
Elizabeth, (Mrs) lodging house , Great Eastern Terrace.
Wm. shoe maker, Picton Place
John, tailor, High Street.
Wales First Class Family & Commercial Hotel. (James Whetton manager)
Elizabeth (Mrs), boot and shoe dealer, Great Eastern Terrace.
George Edward, chemist & druggist, High Street & Picton Terr.
Richard Fowler, storekeeper for GWR, Belle Vue House
Anthony, grocer, High Street.
Ellen, (Miss), Pembroke Castle, Picton Place
James, manager South Wales Family and Commercial Hotel
Daniel, grocer & baker, High St
William, grocer Picton Place.
of Births & Deaths - No3 Roose Sub-district - James S Griffiths
Mrs. Llanstadwell House
Davies, Roch, Newton House
Thomas Henry JP Hayston hall
Evans, Evan, Mill House Hazelbeach
James, Foresters Cottage
Hughes, Mrs. Church Road Hazelbeach
Capt. Wm. Bellevue ho. Hazelbeach
Jones, Mrs. Jane, Waterston House
James, Honeyborough House
Roch, Mrs, Hazelbeach.
Rev. Lacy . MA [incumbent]
Comber John, beer retailer, Waterston
William, Ferry House inn, Hazelbeach
Evans, John, beer retailer, Waterston
Nathaniel. frmr. Little Honeyboro,
James, Wm. grocer & baker, Hazelbeach
George, farmer, Waterston
Jenkins William, blacksmith, Waterston
Emily (Mrs) board and day school, Melville house, Hazelbeach
John, grocer & baker, Waterston
Myers, David, Wellington tavern, Hazelbeach.
family names of Llanstadwell mentioned by
Mason in 1905 include Scurlock, John, Richards, James, Gaddarn, Roberts,
Pepperel, Hugh, Stephens, George,
Miers, Fields, Dean, Rees, Nash, Davies, Deveraux, Howells, Childs, Machin,
West, Young, Bowen,
Sir John Phillips of Picton Castle established a Charity School at Steynton
funded by an annual donation but there was no guarantee that the payment would
be continued by his descendants).
The Sunday school was discontinued through lack of funds. (Was this held in a
little schoolroom by the church as Mason suggests that there was such a building
There was no school in Llanstadwell. There was one - the Ferry school in Neyland
for which the sum of 30 shillings
a year were paid, 15s by the schoolmaster and 15s by the Wesleyan's to
hold a Sunday School and religious meetings. This room was described as very
cold, with the walls roof and floor in very bad state of repair. a pan with coal
between the one window and the door served as fireplace, and there was no
chimney only the holes in the roof where the tiles were missing. There where
five benches, one table and a chair and the students (14 in the first class)
were able to read a part of St John's Gospel, and had some mathematical skills.
There were three classes but it would appear only one master, a stout healthy
man who kept his scholars in good order. The scholars were the children of
mechanics' (tradesmen from the Dockyard?) and labourers.
was another school at Waterston (see Honeyborough Baptist Chapel entry re early
use of the schoolroom for services) with the roof and floor also being in bad
repair. The master was described as appeared to be a good tempered man and his
scholars were the children of farmers and labourers. The furniture consisted of
two tables and six benches On being tested it was found that the pupils could
read from the Bible tolerably well but had no understanding of what they had
read and they could do simple arithmetic.
- January 20th The Vicar of the Parish (Thos. Owen) wrote
That although he had been vicar since 1812 and one of the trustees of the funds
to establish a school, he had never seen or heard of the £5 per annum
documented that the late Lord Milford had given towards the support of a school.
The late Mr. Matthias of Hayston had left a considerable sum for the
establishment of a district school in Llanstadwell to serve that place and
Rosemarket but legal expenses and the failure to agree of
the clergy on the board of trustees had,
reduced the income to £44. 11s 9d per annum and
lead to failure in finding a suitable site which according to Mr Matthias's
wishes must be in Llanstadwell, even
though, as one of the trustee's, the Incumbent of Rosemarket pointed out, there
was an existing schoolroom in Rosemarket at present only occupied by a Dame.
to Benjamin John and William Edwards, teachers in the Hephzibah Sunday School
there where at that time approximately 200 children in the area in need of
education of which "not above five or six in every score" were
attending a day school.
The government offered a "capitation" grant for each pupil as well as
assistance for buildings and advantage was taken of this.
- Education Act prescribed that where voluntary efforts had failed to provide an
efficient school a School Board should be elected to supply the need
December - Llanstadwell ratepayers applied for a School board - The meeting
started at the British Schoolroom Pembroke Dock but it was so cold they
transferred the meeting to the National Schoolroom and the school was started.
1884 Kelly's directory lists a Board School for 200 boys, average attendance
130; William George Aswell, master. 120 girls, average attendance, 90; Miss
Bessie M. Davies, mistress and 120 infants, average attendance 112; Mrs. Mary
Ann Bishop, mistress. The infants school was being enlarged.
5 Wages and Employment.
Morris surveyed the Milford Haven in 1743, of this area he wrote:
is the place where Sugars from Ireland are discharged and pay the English duty
at Pembroke; and here Woollen Yarn from Ireland is imported; Milford Haven being
one of the open Ports allowed by Act of Parliament. At this Place there is also
a Salt Refinery, which supplies the whole County." He suggested some
improvements "Here might be made a Dock, a Mile and a Quarter in Length;
and vessels might lie at the Dockhead in Four Six or Eight Fathom Water."
This was one hundred years before Brunel had the same idea.
was therefore some industrialisation taking place. The site of the salt refinery
is believed to have been at Barnlake and there is a suggestion that there was a
wharf there too.
Act of Parliament 32 Geo II chap. 30 passed in 1757 authorised the purchase of
land for the Haven defences and a committee composed of the magistrates of
Pembrokeshire and other influential gentlemen of whom Lord Milford of Picton
Castle was considered the principal was empowered to select sites and carry out
the necessary work. Three sites were selected and purchased:- Paterchurch 65
acres 3 roods 1 pole; West Llanion Point (now known as Hobbs Point) 34 acres
2 roods 25 poles; Neyland,
Limpet hill 23 acres 35 poles for
which £2,713 17s was paid. Work was
commenced but the declaration of peace on 10th February 1763 caused the work to
be abandoned in a half complete state. Lewis in 1843 records that it was once
contemplated to build a Dockyard where later the Railway terminus was built and
certainly two ships were constructed there.
In 1780 a frigate was built for the Government, called
"Milford" and in 1784 the "Triumph" a 74 gun ship was also
built, by contract, the yard was managed by a family named Scurlock. From the
1800 onwards, there was still a small amount of shipbuilding being undertaken
mostly vessels under 100 tons. Seven ships were built in the 1820s but the total
tonnage was only 297 tons and in the 1830s 10 ships were built of a total
tonnage of 993 tons, after that period only two or three were built every ten
area must have been very different then as the majority of the houses seemed to
follow the shoreline
very good Inn stood on the Point, and some good houses occupied the sheltered
terrace, running from the Point to the edge of the wood northwards. This area
and the houses were later taken over by the Great Western Railway Company. There
were two roads from the point one northwards as indicated following the route of
what is now High St, and the other following the shore to the west There were
several cottages scattered on the margin of the two roads especially on the west
road leading to Milford via Llanstadwell and Hazelbeach. The North road passed
through the "Gale" (a couple of houses) to Haverfordwest via the large
village of Great Honeyborough, which contained a good many cottages a couple of
farmhouses and "Honeyborough House."
would have been a good number travelling over each day to the Dockyard at
Paterchurch as in 1847 agricultural Labourers working in Llanstadwell were paid
6s or 7s per week on their own finding
(supplying their own food) or 3s with food. Just over the
water at the dockyard Labourers received 12s per week and tradesmen considerably
the advent of the railway all changed.
South Wales Railway had originally intended to run the railway line to Fishguard
but because of increased costs and the potato famine in Ireland the management
turned its attention to a nearer alternative access to tidewater. Originally the
Act of Parliament of 1845 had stipulated a branch from Whitland to Pembroke and
the Royal Dockyard but because of legal problems over obtaining land from local
landowners this had not been progressed with, also as by 2 January 1854 they
were already at Haverfordwest it would be considerably cheaper to head for the
nearest convenient location on the North side of the Haven. Brunel opted for
Neyland and the extension of nine miles from Haverfordwest to Neyland was opened
as a broad gauge, single-line branch on 15 April 1856.
Pontoons used to build the Saltash bridge were floated round to form a
floating landing stage to load and unload the Irish Packets which continued to
use the port till the opening of Fishguard in 1906.
During the season immense quantities of mackerel are brought here by
steamer from the Irish coast, and forwarded by rail to the London and other
markets. The South Wales Hotel was built immediately adjacent to the new
terminus of what became the Great Western railway and was situated on rising
ground overlooking Milford Haven; with ornamental grounds between the hotel and
the station. Large numbers of houses were built to accommodate the increase in
population. Steamers left Neyland
for Waterford every day after the arrival of the passenger train from Paddington
due to arrive at 1.50am and also left on Mondays after the arrival of the train
due at 6.50 am. Steamers also left Neyland for Passage and Cork every Tuesday,
Thursday and Saturday at 8.30 pm.
Ferries to Pembroke Dock ran every quarter of an hour through the day, fare
-single 2p return 3p.
a time the Great Eastern was moored here but comparatively little Atlantic
Shipping would call due to lack of deep water frontage.
continued as a Railway terminus and Locomotive Depot until 15th June 1964.
is alleged that the Newton Family originally came from Llanstadwell and then
moved across the water to the Angle area.
Fenton Tour of
"This road extends from Llanstadwell to Newton Weare. Newton was
once the residence of the princely family of Craddock, linearly descended from
Howel Dda, Lords of this place, whose descendent Sir Richard married Emma,
daughter and co-heiress of Sir Thomas Perrott of Eastington and dropped the name
Craddock took the name of Newton, and was Chief Justice of Common Pleas. This
led him to settle in England and dispose of his property in Wales. He died
December the 14th 1444, and lies buried in a chapel on the south side of Bristol
visited the churches of Lanstadwell and Burton, but they contained nothing
worthy of note"---
suggests p277 that some of the Family were buried at Llanstadwell although also
mentioning that the grave of a Mr Bowlas at Burton was on the site were laid a
sculptured tombstone with an effigy
almost effaced and that this was removed to make place for the internment and
that Mr Bowlas, who was the late proprietor of Newton understood that this was
the traditional burial place of the owners of Newton.
In Bristol Cathedral at the lower end of the south aisle against the east
wall is an ancient tomb of grey marble, on which once were placed the effigies
of two persons kneeling, and an inscription on brass beneath them, and their
arms behind their heads; but to whom they belonged was unknown
till from a MS. in Benton Coll. Library Cambridge, it was discovered that
the monument had been erected to the memory of Sir Richard Newton Cradock, who
died Dec 13th 1444, chief justice of the common pleas. This with the founders
grave stone, are the only monuments that had brass inscriptions and effigies
belonging to them.
Angle 2 1/ 2
100s rent.-details given in
following document also details of the land held by John Craddok of Neuton whose
daughter whose son Roger age 17 married the daughter of Nicholas Schirbourn.
Misc. Inquisition No 168
dated 6 June Edward III, touching the knight's fees held by the late Laurence de
Hastings, Earl of Pembroke.
at Pembroke 6 April 27 Edward III, before Thomas de Aston.
John Melyn, William Parthcorn, Thomas Castel, Richard ..rchard, John Wydelok,
John Suteri, John Coke, David ap Llewelyn Vaughan, John Castel de fflemyneston,
John..... Edward Castel, John Bisschop.
Perot on his death (Monday n.a. S. Gregory, 23 Edward III), held by the demesne
of Pembroke, one messuage and 100a of land by military service, worth in gross
16s 8d., and did suit to the county court of Pembroke; the said John held of
Mary de St. Paul, Countess of Pembroke, 2 carucates 6 bovates of land in Popton,
by military service worth 66s.; also he held of John de Hilton in Custynes[ton]
one carucate worth 30s yearly; also he has at Westperit 12d. yearly rent for a
certain tenement in Ithmorston, one carucate of land near the borough of
Pembroke worth 24s. yearly, also he held 2 bovates of land in Osbarnstoun in
burg worth 4s yearly; also one carucate and two bovates of land in Walwaynston
in burg, worth 24s yearly; and the marriage of his heir is worth 40m; John de
Carrew, kt., has the marriage of the said heir by the king's grant.
Scurlag held of the heir of Laurence Hastinges, late Earl of Pembroke, in free
socage, 30a of land in Begeristoun, worth 5s yearly; also he held jointly with
Margaret his wife at Kylkemoran the moiety of a knight's fee, worth 40s yearly;
and the said Margaret his survivor, holds the said tenements for her life. And
he held of John de Carrew, kt, 11/2 carucate of land at Martheltwist, worth
yearly 1/2 mark; also he held of the heir of Laurence de Hastinges 70a in
Coytrath conjointly with Margaret his wife, his survivor as above, worth yearly
11s 8d. Also he held of the heir of the aforesaid Lawrence 30 acres of land by
Welsh law (per legem Wallensicam) which lands owe no ward and marriage, worth
de Shirbourn, on his death, held of the demesne of Pembroke 50s 4d of rent in
Scurlageston, of which Margaret, his wife, held one third in dower. Also he held
21/2 carucates of land in Angle of the Earl of Gloucester conjointly with
Margaret his wife who survived him and worth 100s yearly; John son of the said
Nicholas, is his next heir, and was 18 years old on the death of his father.
Also he held 12s rent in Angle of the Earl of Gloucester, of which the said
Margaret receives one third by way of dower. His marriage is worth 20 marks.
Robelyn, on his death (Thursday n.a. St Trinity 23 Edward III) held of the
demesne of Pembroke 2 1/2 carucates of land
in Costeyniston by military service and doing suit to the Court of the gate of
the castle of Pembroke, and worth 40s yearly; also the free tenants of the said
William pay a yearly rent of 4s 4d. Also he held of John de Carrewe kt., three
bovates of land in le thorne, worth yearly 6s.,; and Robert, son of the said
William, is his heir and was 13 years and more at the time of his father's
death; his marriage is worth £20.
Champaygne, at his death (Friday n.a.Easter,
23 Edward II) held of the
demesne of Pembroke 30a of land in Lantege doing suit to the county of Pembroke
and is worth 5s yearly; also he held of Mary or the Countess of Pembroke one
knight's fee worth 60s yearly in Kylneygi, of
which Margaret mother of the said John, holds one
third in dower. Isabella,
his daughter, is the next heir, aged three years at the death of her father; her
marriage is worth 20 marks.
Maleufaunt, at his death (15 August,
23 Edward III) held of the demesne of Pembroke 30 acres of land in
Loudeschirche by military fee and doing service to the county of Pembroke worth
2s 6d yearly. David, his son,
is next heir, age 9 1/2 years on his
father's death. His marriage
is worth 10s.
Wiseman, at his death ( at the Feast
of the Conception of the Holy Mary, the
Virgin) , held of the demesne of Pembroke in chief half a knight's fee by
military service in Seintussilt, worth
60s yearly, of which Agnes his wife,
receives one third as dower, and
John Vaughan 1 mark yearly rent. John,
son, is next heir,
age 15 years. His
marriage is worth 10 marks.
Craddok, at his death (Monday after
the Feast of the Assumption of Holy Mary, 24
Edward III) , held of the demesne of Pembroke,
6 bovates of land in Neuton, worth
20s yearly. Roger, his son,
is next heir, age 17 years.
The said Roger married the
daughter of Nicholas Schirbourn, et
disponsati fuerint in crastino post obitum patris.
His marriage is worth 20s.]
Cradock of Newton aged 17, married in 1350, the day after his father's death
Marjory daughter of Nicholas Shirburn. see
doc above Roger is reputed to have
been buried at Angle and was refered
to as Lord of Newton of Newton in
Roos ( Roose in Landstadwell parish
Pembrokeshire though Henry Owen says the family originally came from Ystrad Towy).
Newton was the last of the male line, he left two daughters. (see 1500).
He held of the Earl of Pembroke 30 acres at Coydrath, 3 burgages in
Pembroke, of Edward Lord le Despenser, the rent of Scorlageston
and half a knights fee. [presumably for the Craddocks to inherit
from their niece she must
died without issue].
John Cradock son of Roger was a Juror in Pembroke.
married the daughter of Peter Russell who held lands at Hay's Castle according
to Henry Owen.
- David Craddok - son of Roger and brother of John -
March 3 Westminster
Roll, 1 Richard II pt 4 m 37 (Cal p133)
to David Craddok and to Walter Mille, as justices for holding the Sessions in
the County of Pembroke.]
David Craddok - seneschal of Haverfordwest.
- 7 Sir Richard Newton - grandson of John Cradock
appointed Justice Itinerant
Sir Richard Newton recorder of Bristol.
Sir Richard Newton Judge of the Common Pleas.
Sir Richard Newton Lord Chief
Justice of the Common Pleas.
Sir Richard Newton died and was buried at Yatton in Somerset. - he was married
twice - first to Emma daughter of Thomas Perot of Haroldston
in the county of Pembroke - second to Emmota Harvey of London
- she is buried at Yatton - He had children by both wives.
the story of the Newtons and Angle does not finish there because there where
still members of the Newton family residing in the County of Pembroke:-
is a will which transfers endowments which had belonged to the Chapel of St
Anthony, then recently washed away from the shore of West Angle Bay, -
in a field on the West side of Pill Bay can still be traced the site of a
Church. The field is called Church Meadow and coffins and bones were said to
have been found there.
Register of Canterbury, the will of Richard Newton, a resident in the parish of
Monkton, near Pembroke, in which he bequeaths " to the chapel of St George
the Martyr of Nangle four tenements in Haverfordwest and Pembroke, which lands
of late appertained to the chapel of St Anthony in the Nangle, and to the
augmentation of the stipend of a priest always to sing for the souls of the
founders of the chapel of St Anthony, that is to say...Shelborn and his
ancestors and for me and Elinor my late wife." He also directed that"
the principal window in the chapel of St George above the altar shall be renewed
and barred with green bars, and that the history and life of St George shall be
pictured upon the glass."
to which bequest Dr. Henry Owen remarks "The chantry chapel of St George
was in the parish churchyard. Of the other two chapels in the parish, the
remains of St Mary's on the Bay were destroyed upon the erection of the modern
fort and St Anthony's in West Angle Bay had been washed away by the sea not long
before the date of this will."
would appear from the will of Richard Newton that there had been a chapel of St
Antony in the parish of Nangle but the words of the bequest to the chapel of St
George of lands "of late appertaining to the chapel of St Anthony"
point to the disappearance of the latter, and its practical substitution by that
of St George. The restoration of 1853, of which no account is now procurable,
has removed all possibility of discovering whether the donor's desire to have
the exploits of St George depicted on the window above the altar had been
fulfilled in either the church or a chapel near by.
Paryshe of Angull in the said County (Comitatus Pembroke)
to Fynde a Prest for euer
he to haue for his Salary by yere
xlviij s vij d
no Parishe churche, but is annexed vnto the Paryshe church aforesaid liij s
vij d wherof
For the Prest stipen
xliij s xj d
For the Kynges Tenthes
iiij s viij
Also ther is parcell of the forsaid possesions taken awey as followeth
s vij d
And so Remaynythe
of Ornaments, Plate, Jewels,Goods, and Chattels)
hath byn parcell of the possessions of the same Chauntrie deteyned & taken
awey sith the said
th day of February in the xxvij yere of the Kinges Majesties reign by one
Nicholas Dawe of the forsayd Parishe of Angull gent., that is to wete without
the Kinges licence which amountithe yerly to the somme of
would appear that there is some difficulty about fixing the correct position of
the altar (and Chapel) of St George. The chantry certificate specifically states
that the chantry altar of St George was "within the parish church"
Chantry records contain an interesting record of this church in 1 Edw VI ( 1547)
3,17PRO Chantry Certificates
Parish of Angle
lands and tenem'ts which were in the hands of feoffees to the intent to find a
priest to celebrate mass at the altar of St George within the parish Church, by
reason whereof it was called St. George's Chauntry, the priest being removable
at the will and pleasure of the said feoffees.
Resolute and lyging money paid to the King yearly
Nicholas Comberford, aged 40, no other spiritual function
Valet ultra clare p. annum nil
In the hands of Thomas Cillyn two harness girdles safely to be kept,
were mortgaged by one Nicholas Dawes, valued at
Perrots held Eastington for about 3 centuries from the 1100's then moved after a
lucrative marriage to Haroldston - Family very famous for Sir John Perrot who
rebuilt Carew Castle - and whose father was Henry VIII - his mother
wedded to Sir Thomas Perrot was also lady of the bedchamber. Sir John
died in the Tower before his half sister Elizabeth could pardon him
- but that is another tale.
The History of
Pembrokeshire Rev James
Episcopal Register of St
Episcopal Acts relating
to Welsh Dioceses 1066- 1272
James Conway Davies
of the Historical Society of Wales Vol 2 1950 p54
J Conway Davies
I.P.M.33 Edw III 1 No 35
I P M 36 Edw III 2 No 36
Org Rolls ,2 Ric III,m 30
Rot Parl ., iv
Foss - Judges of England,
Stafford Reg., fo 169b
Hearth Tax 1670
Population Changes round
the shores of the Haven from 1800 to the present day
Margaret C Gilpin
Pembrokeshire Sea Trade
before 1900 Barbara J
The Calendar of Public
Records - Henry Owen
Families - Henry Owen
Little England Beyond
Wales - E Laws
History Vol III & Vol IV
The State of Education in
Lay Subsidies Henry Owen
Fenton Tour of
Dictionary of Wales S Lewis
Pembroke Dock, Royal
the Place Names of Pembrokeshire
- 1596 OPb ii 563
Nayland - 1773 Morg Rich, Neyland 1793 LT
In the Taxatio of 1291, the name is spelt Lanstowel. Browne Willis ascribes it to St Sywall - an evident confusion. Rees (Welsh Saints 134) suggests St Tudwal, whose name is associated with the district of Lleyn in Carnarvonshire. In 1517 the St David's Episcopal Register gave it as Llnastadwell. The Elizabethan communion cup has Lanstetwall.
Acc/to The Lives of the British Saints by S. Baring-Gould and John Fisher
Giraldus Cambrensis., De Jure (R.S.), Vol. III pp153 - 4
1543 - Lay Subsidy PRO 223/4 19 Dec.
Glynne Notes ( Arch Camb 1885 V ii 213)
Acc/to the Census of Religious Buildings 1851
Acc/to Valor Ecclesiasticus.
 Congregationalism in South Pembrokeshire P 2
Information from Baptist Historical Sketches Rev R C Roberts 1907
Information from South Pembrokeshire Calvanistic Methodist Churches W. Evans & O. S. Symond 1913
Pipe Roll 7 Edward 3 M45
Pipe Roll 5 Edward III M63
(Calendar of the Records of the Borough of Haverfordwest 1539-1660 - B G George )
His will was proved at Carmarthen on 6th Nov 1705
Report of Education in Wales 1847
recorded in the Report on the State of Education in Wales 1847