T

Talbenny, Templeton, Tenby, Treffgarne, Trefloyne, Trevine.

Return to Gazatteer


Talbenny       (Jottings)          844123

St Mary Church: The nave windows and chancel are of 1893. The nave walls and plain pointed chancel arch are 13th century. The double bellcote on the thick west wall is 15th century

14c bell sancte Marteine Ora Pro Nobis.

The rectory of Talbenny was appendant to the manor of that name. - Owen’s Pem.

In the beginning of the 14th century the Rach family held the patronage, and from them it descended to the Devereux of Lamphey and from them it was acquired by the Owens of Orielton.

1291. This church was assessed at £6 13s 4d for tenths to the King, the sum payable being 13s. 4d. - Taxatio.

Talvenny. - Ecclesia ibidem ex collacione domirii de Ferrers unde Thomas Beynon est rector habens rectoriam ibidem et glebam. Et valet fructlls hujus rectorie com munibus annis x i. Inde sol in visitacione ordinaria quolibet tercio anno xxijd. Et in visitacione archidiaconi quolibet anno pro sinodalibus et procuracionibus vs ixd. remanet clare £9 12s. 5d Inde decima 19s. 3d. -  Valor Eccl.

Under the heading “Livings Discharged”:- Talbenny R. (St. Mary). Ordinario quolibet tertio anno, 1s. 10d. Archidiac. quolibet anno, 5s. 5d. Dom. de Ferrers, 1535; Wyrriot Owen, Esq., 1714; Sir Arthur Owen, Bart., 1727; Sir William Owen, Bart., 1760, 1780. Clear yearly value, £35. King’s Books, £9 12s. 6d. -  Bacon’s Liber Regis.

1864 7th April. The rectory of Talbenny was united with the rectory of Walton West, under an Order in Council.

1892 17 October. A faculty was granted for the restoration of Talbenny parish Church.

Return to T    Return to Gazatteer


Templeton                (SN113115)

Located 2 miles south of Narberth.

The town takes its name from the society of Knights Templar who established a foundation there towards the end of the 12c. The foundation ceased to function by 1312. The site of the House of the Knights Templar is believed to be where the modern St John’s Church was built.

This is a perpetual curacy or district Chapelry, to which a district was assigned out of the parish of Narberth by an Order in Council, dated January 1863, The patronage is vested in the Crown. Since 1863 the living has been held in plurality with Ludchurch.

Nearby is Sentence Castle but it is not known who built it or when. There has been speculation that this was castle near Arberth destroyed by Gruffudd ap Rhys in 1116 and again attacked by the Welsh in 1215 and 1220.

1283.  Villa Templariorum mentioned. Burgesses of the wind (de vento) [windmills] each paying the statutory annual rent of 12d and the total rents of assize amounted to £7 9s 4d.

It did not have a very large population as in 1532-3 and 1545-6 there were only 17 burgages.

South of Templeton, Carn Mountain Tumulus yielded one of the largest urns ever known to have been discovered in Wales . It was of late Bronze Age and is in the National Museum at Cardiff .

Battle of Mynydd Carn 1081 took place within a few yards of the tumulus.

Introducing West Wales - Maxwell Frazer 1956.

Return to T    Return to Gazatteer


Tenby                       (132004)

[Research for a series of lectures I gave in Tenby – The information that Tenby St Mary’s had once belonged to a Brothel did not go down well with one member of the audience but the rest were amused.]

The name Tenby is an anglicised version of Dynbych (little Fort) and to distinguish it from Denbigh it was called Dynbyych y Pysgod, (Little fort of the Fishes).

Today it is the leading Pembrokeshire holiday resort, with a population which more than trebles in the summer months.

The town is very old - from coins found very old indeed, older than the Romans. One very interesting coin is the one found at Tenby in 1881. This was a silver drachma of Menander King of the Punjab in 167-145 BC. According to the National Museum of Wales it could not possibly have been found but it was. Does this indicate that trade from the town, to the Mediterranean and beyond was going on before the birth of Christ? The history books tell us that the Romans never came to Pembrokeshire but after they were written a Roman Road has been found.

Acc/to Laws pp44.

At and near Tenby a bronze fibula and scattered coins have been found, including Vespasian (found with animal bones and coarse sherds), Domitian, Marcus Aurelius, Faustin Junior, Probus, two of Maximianus, Carausius, Dioeletia, Constantinopolis,  and Constans.

There was a Welsh settlement here before the Normans arrived, but the castle (of which little remains) was part of the fortified town.  The town walls are massive, and the parts that remain are still in a good state of repair. In 1289 William de Valence Earl of Pembroke started work on the town walls and built the hospital of St John for the poor and sick. In the early Norman period it was captured by the Welsh several times. Under Lord Rhys and his brother Maredudd in 1153, Rhys’s son Maelgwyn took it in 1187 and Llewelyn the last took it in 1260.

The first historical reference to the place occurs in connection with the destruction of the castle and the slaughter of the garrison in 1150 by the Welsh, because the stronghold sheltered some Flemings who had attacked a Welsh Prince, while he was

hunting near Saundersfoot. Between 30 and 40 years later, the Welsh by plain force won the town and burned it to ashes.

1457. The Earl of Pembroke assisted the inhabitants of Tenby to rebuild and strengthen the walls of their town. They were still further strengthened, as was the castle, against the coming of the Armada, and the place was then one of the principle fortresses in South Wales .

Acc/to Leyland - Tenby stands on a main Rokke, but not very hy, and is so gulfed

about by the Severn Se, that at the ful Se, almost the third part of the Toun is in closed with water -

It supplied ships and men for the Hundred year war with France , and was very prominent in the wool trade, having two pandies where the woven material was processed.  It also had two hospitals one for lepers, as well as St John’s , for the sick and elderly. Opposite the town wall about 40yards short of the Five Arches, in the passage by the Old Oak Insurance Office, on its right side, there is a circular chimney. Possibly the oldest extent specimen of its kind as it is supposed to date from the 12c or the early part of the 13c. It is now part of a modern building erected on the site of an ancient structure which tradition says was the Lazar House or Hospital for Lepers.

By the early 1300’s it was a thriving borough with 241 burgages, 3 windmills, and a watermill. Colonised by Flemish and English settlers, local tradition credits the Flemish with establishing two wool pandies in the town.

Tenby was the principle herring port of South Wales and had a large trade in oysters which they used to fish for by Castle Point and off Monkstone Point, until over fishing killed the industry.  In 1528, 20,000 oysters were shipped from the port, sometimes pearls were found as well.

Tenby had other sources of income as in as well!

In 1383 a great ship of Genoa laden with Gold plate and other precious merchandise was relieved of her cargo by men of Tenby. The King appointed 2 commissioners to look into it.    

In Tudor and Stuart times the town was an important fishing and trading centre and there were many rich merchants. The Whites were one very important family.  The Tudor Merchants House and Plantagenet House both date from the fifteenth century.

During the Civil war Tenby was held for the King until a three day siege and bombardment transferred it to the forces of the Parliament. A little later, mutineers held it for a few days against the Parliament. After that the local people used it as a quarry for building material. It was possible to walk around the parapet of the walls until 1830. Then the public footpath around the town walls was closed, abandoning the walls to the discretion of those whose property abutted them.

After the Civil War Tenby went into decline. The decay of Tenby continued until, in the early years of the 1700’s, almost the whole town was in ruins. Its condition

then is shown in Norris’s picture in the local museum. A little later, seaside places began to grow in favour, with those who were in a position to gratify a desire for change of air and scene, and as the merits of Tenby as a holiday resort began to be

recognised, the town entered upon a new era of prosperity.

1540. Leland wrote - the toun is strongeli waullid and well gatted, everi gate having his Port cullis, ex solido ferro.  In his day there were probably nearly 20 towers and 5 gateways.

In the middle of the 1700’s the town became a popular health resort and many new houses were built above the two town beaches to accommodate the    Gentry.

The main developer was Sir William Pakton, who built the sea water baths down by the harbour.

1761. The first Wesleyan sermon was preached at the Market Cross by Thomas Taylor one of Wesley’s lay readers. His advent seems to have been peculiarly repugnant to the Mayor, who is said to have instigated a disturbance, which served as a pretext for the reading of the Riot Act and the arrest of the evangelist, who was strictly charged by the Justices to preach no more in the town. But the injunction was immediately disregarded. John Wesley was in Tenby in 1763 and again in 1784. Of the first occasion he wrote:

--We reached Tenby about 11 o clock; the rain then ceased, and I preached at the cross to a congregation gathered from many miles around. 

The record of the second visit is:

--We reached Tenby soon after one. In the evening I preached in the street to a large congregation of rich and poor, all quiet and attentive.

Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Rood and St Teilo, Crucifix over the High alter is of Pre-Reformation date and was previously in the Priory Church of Brecon. The reliquary contains a piece of wood said to have formed part of the true Cross.

St Mary’s Church:

St. Mary’s Church, dating from the 1200’s, is the largest parish church in Wales . In the Middle ages the church was one of the main focus points of town life. The original church is supposed to have been rebuilt by the Normans about 1090. It was rebuilt again in the 1300’s and added on to at different times down through the ages. The tower was used for centuries, by sailors, as a landmark navigational aid.

The church of St. Mary , Tenby, formed part of the possessions of the abbey of St. Martin de Seez in Normandy , and was probably included in the gift of St. Nicholas, Pembroke, made about 1098 by Arnulph de Montgomery to that abbey. As was the priory of Monkton at Pembroke.

Giraldus Cambrensis was rector in 1172.

After the confiscation of the property of alien abbeys, in England and Wales the priory of Pembroke, which held the advowson of St. Mary, Tenby, was granted in 1414 by the crown to Humphrey de Lancaster, Duke of Gloucester and Earl of Pembroke, who on 7 June, 1441, gave the same to the abbey of St. Albans. - Whethamstede, Vol.1. p. 46.

The Abbot of St Alban’s passed the church on to his sisters in the Convent of St Mary de la Pre. This convent had been founded by King John “for the health of his own, his ancestors and his heirs souls and built for God, lepers and diseased women” in a meadow near St Albans.

1484 May.  This year John Morton, Cardinal Arch bishop of Canterbury , obtained a bull from Pope Alexander VI, authorising him to visit and inspect the religious houses of the realm, as great irregularities were reported. The result of this visitation was a letter addressed to the Abbot of St. Alban’s informing him that the state of affairs in the nunnery of de la Pre was most unsatisfactory.  “The Abbess, Elena Gerrnyn, was a married woman who had separated from her husband, and had lived in adultery with another man; at present she was the mistress of Father Thomas Sudbury, and the convent was run as a brothel.”

As we all know the authorities of the Church work very slowly either that or the Convent had some very powerful or satisfied friends for it was not until 1528 that there was an order from the Pope; “in as much as we learn the discipline is greatly relaxed in the monastery of the nuns of the meadow.... it must be wholly suppressed and the properties, farms and all rights must be returned to the Monastery of St Albans”.

There was supposed to be a passage from the Church to the House of a merchant family called White.

1471. Jasper and Henry Tudor defeated at Tewkesbury and fled to Tenby. Thomas White, Mayor of Tenby assisted by the then rector hid them in the White’s mansion cellars (under Boots the Chemist) then helped them flee to France . Henry returned later to become the first Tudor King.

Today it seems very strange to realise that his mother Margaret, gave birth to Henry 8 months after she was widowed, when her husband had been executed and she was only 15 at the time of the birth.

1539. Dissolution of monasteries and St Mary’s church passed to the Crown.

On the surrender on 5 Dec., 1539, of the abbey of St. Albans to the Crown the advowson of St. Mary, Tenby, came into the hands of the King, who presumably granted it, or probably only the right of the next presentation, to William Gwynne, a priest and parson of St. Nicholas Cole Abbey (London), and he by his will, dated 26 Oct., 1540, bequeathed the advowson of Tynby to his nephew William Rogers.

1656 10 July. The Commonwealth approved of the union of the parishes of Tenby and Gumfreston. - State Papers.

1668. Guns and ammunition stored in the Church.

1711 18 September. Licence was granted by Queen Anne, on the petition of the inhabitants of Tenby, for the consolidation of the rectory and vicarage of St. Mary, Tenby, into one rectory to be called the Rectory of the Parish Church of St. Mary, Tenby.  The patronage of which was reserved to the Crown. On the death of Roger Lloyd, the last sinecure rector, John Howell was instituted in 1712 to the consolidated rectory.

1770-1 or 1772-3. [Thomas Williams was mayor in 1770-1 and 1772-3]. The Mayor, Justice, Common Council, Burgesses and inhabitants of the borough and Parish of St Mary, Tenby, to Charles [Moss], Bishop of St Davids.

Petition

Humbly sheweth unto your lordship that we have lived in a very unhappy state in regard to our religious worship since our present rector has come here, whose vociferous method of preaching is truely disagreeable to us. And though we have made frequent applications to him to preach by notes as his worthy predecessor always did, and all other clergymen of the Church of England still do, yet he obstinately persists in following his methodistical custom of preaching extempore, and that so harsh and unintelligible to all capacities as he has prevented many well disposed Christians from frequenting the church. This obstinate behaviour of our rector being truley grievous to your petitioners, they, by their churchwarden presented him in your lordship’s court at Haverfordwest at your lordship’s last visitation, and also at two subsequent courts. In order to prevent your petitioners from having justice done then, our rector has for these two years last past, elected one Thomas Howells (a man of a despicable character) to be his churchwarden who acts agreeable to the rectors desire and has in his presentment contradicted your petitioners churchwarden’s presentment. As your petitioners have hitherto had no redress, we humbly apprehend we have no other method of being relieved but by applying to your lordship by petition.

Your petitioners humble hope that your lordship will take their unhappy case into consideration; unhappy, we may truely say, as we cannot go to our own church with any comfort to hear his thundering incoherent doctrine, and grant us such relief as to your lordship shall see fit.

(There were about 70 signatories.)

There is a memorial in St Mary’s Church to Robert Recorde, he died in a debtor’s goal. Robert Recorde the mathematician was born in Tenby.  He introduced algebra into England and was the first to use the signs +, and =.  His book “The whetstone of witte or the second Part of Arithmetike”, 1557 on algebra, is mentioned by Sir W. Scott in his book The fortunes of Nigel.

Another is to Peggy Davies the old bathing woman.

1809. Peggy Davies, bathing woman died in the sea aged 82.

One with a connection to Pembroke is that to Dr Reid (Reid Douglas Arthur MD. JP.) who served in the Crimea with the 90th Regiment and at his death was the last medical officer to have served in that conflict. He died in London March 22nd 1924 at the age of 90. Previously his wife died in Tenby in 1912 age 74. They had 3 sons.

[[One incident in his life

Dreadful accident and loss of lives at Pembroke Dock.

The town of Pembroke was, on Monday evening last, the scene of one of the most alarming accidents which have occurred here for many years past. From the particulars which have been ascertained it appears that about six o clock in the evening a party consisting of women and lads and children about 14 in number, were returning from a hay field in Lamphey Lane in a waggonette drawn by one horse. The horse and vehicle were the property of Mrs Truscott of the White Hart Inn and when they had arrived nearly opposite the Dragon Hotel the belly band gave way and the horse began to kick. This so alarmed the women and children that they began to scream and by this means so frightened the animal that it took off at a furious pace down towards the Lion Hotel and from there up by the Old Castle. Here P.C. Davies (No 24) attempted to stop the animal but was unable to do so and also got much hurt in the attempt, the shaft having struck him in the side. From thence the animal continued its career over the steep and sinuous Westgate Hill and eventually struck the vehicle against the old parapet wall of the Calvinistic Methodist Chapel when both horse and vehicle got turned completely over.
In this terrible crash a young woman about 17 years of age named Dorcas Ann Truscott, a daughter of Mr W H Truscott of the Red White and Blue Inn, Quay Pembroke was killed on the spot, while her younger sister, named Olwin Lavinia, age 14 years received a frightful scalp wound and sustained such other serious injuries that she is not expected to survive. Ann Moy a widow, about 60 years of age so dreadfully injured that her death is momentarily expected. A lad named John Haran (who was driving the horse at the time) and his sister both seriously injured. A woman named Elizabeth Williams much injured. Lettice James, a woman who jumped out before the vehicle was turned over, very seriously injured.
The whole of the other occupants including an infant in arms, are more or less injured. Dr. H P Jones and Dr Reid were at once in attendance and rendered all the medical assistance they could.]]

..............................

TENBY St Mary    (SN 134004)

This is the largest medieval parish church in Wales and a testimony to the prosperity of Tenby in the late medieval period. The south doorway and the lower parts of the tower are 13th century, and the SE vestry and north porch are Victorian. The rest is all of c1450-l510. A cruciform two storied west porch built in the 1490s was removed in 1831. The nave has very wide aisles with arcades of five bays. There must have been a south aisle by the 13th century but it was widened c1500 when the chancel arch was removed and coved wagon roofs provided over the nave, chancel, and north chapel. The north aisle was added in the early 15th century but widened and heightened later. The long chancel is flanked on the north side by the irregularly shaped St Nicholas chapel of c1475-80 with a three bay arcade and an east window of 1885. On the south side lies the tower, with a later spire rising to 45m, and St Thomas chapel with a two bay arcade and a piscina probably reset from the chancel.

In the north aisle is a 14th century female effigy, a wall monument to John Moore, d1639, and a 15th century effigy of a skeleton representing John Denby, Archdeacon of St Davids. In the north chapel are the effigies of a 15th century merchant, Rector Hugo ap Owen, c1450, Margaret ap Rhys, d1610, and Robert Tully, Bishop of St Davids. The brass of the latter was modern. In the south chapel are monuments to Thomas White and his son John both 15th century mayors, Ralph Mercer d l613, William Risam d1633. John Roch, d l670, Thomas Roch, d1693, and Isabella Verney, d 146S, plus a 15th century font and bell lettered Sancta Anna. The pulpit is dated 1634. In the churchyard is one wall of a two storey building thought to have been a chantry chapel with a dwelling room for the priest above it.

The church of St. Mary, Tenby, formed part of the possessions of the abbey of St. Martin de Seez in Normandy, and was probably included in the gift of St. Nicholas, Pembroke, made about 1098 by Arnulph de Montgomery to that abbey. - Church Book of St. Mary the Virgin, Tenby.

After the confiscation of the property of alien abbeys, priories &c., in England and Wales, the priory of Pembroke, which [as a subordinate house of the abbey of Seez] held the advowson of St. Mary, Tenby, was granted by the crown to Humphrey de Lancaster, Duke of Gloucester and Earl of Pembroke, who on 7 June, 1441, gave the same to the abbey of St. Albans. - Whethamstede, Vol. I., p. 46.

1539 5 December. On the surrender of the abbey of St. Albans to the Crown the advowson of St. Mary, Tenby, came into the hands of the King, who presumably granted it, or probably only the right of the next presentation, to William Gwynne, a priest and parson of St. Nicholas Cole Abbey (London), and he by his will, dated 26 Oct., 1540, bequeathed the advowson of Tynby to his nephew William Rogers. - Alexger, fol. 17. At all events the advowson was again vested in the crown in I747, as Chartry Certificate No. 75 states that the King was then parson of Tenby. - Church Plate of Pembrokeshire, p.128.

1656 10 July. The Commonwealth approved of the union of the parishes of Tenby and Gumfreston. - State Papers.

1291. This church was assessed for tenths to the King at £16 13s 4d the sum payable being £1 13s 4d. - Taxatio.

Tembia Rectoria. - Ecclesia parrochialis ibidem ex collacione abbatis Sancti Albani unde Thomas Cade clericus est rector ibidem et tenet rectoriam suam infra vill am Te mbie. Et rector i a in emolimentis et oblacioni bus ibidem communibus annis valet xs. Inde sol quolibet tercio anno in visitacione ordinaAa iij. vjd. Ob . Item in visitacione archidiaconi quolibet anno pro procuracionibus et sinodalibus v8. ixd. Et remanet clare £26 10s. 8d. Inde decima 53s. 1d. - Valor Eccl.

Tembye Vicaria. —Vicaria itidem ex presentaciorLe rectoris ibidem unde Thomas Colyns est vicarius et valet vicaria sua per annum cum lxvjs viijd de augmentacione ibidem nuper collata xiijli vjS viiid. Inde pro ordinaria visitacione singulis annis iij8. Et remanet clare £13 3s. 8d. Inde decima 26s. 4d. - Valor Eccl.

Under the heading “Livings remaining in Charge”:- Tyneby alias Tenby R. (St. Mary). Ordinario quolibet tertio anno, 3s 4 d. Archidiac quolibet anno, 5s. 5d. Abb. St. Albani olim Patr; The Prince of Wales. King’s Books, £26 10s. 10d. Note: Tyneby alias Tenby R. annexed to the Vicarage by Queen Anne. – Bacon’s Liber Regis.

Under the heading “Livings Discharged”: - Tyneby alias Tenby V. (St Mary) annexed to the Rectory Ordinario singulis annis, 3s. Abb. St. Albani Propr. The Prince of Morales?  Clear yearly value, £13 6s. 8d. King’s Books, £13 3s. Sd. - Bacon’s Liber Regis.

1711 18 September. Licence was granted by Queen Anne, on the petition of the inhabitants of Tenby, for the consolidation of the rectory and vicarage of St. Mary, Tenby, into one rectory to be called the Rectory of the Parish Church of St. Mary, Tenby.  The patronage of which was reserved to the Crown. On the death of Roger Lloyd, the last sinecure rector, John Howell was instituted in 1712 to the consolidated rectory.

1871 11 January. A faculty was granted for the removal of the body of Lady Griffies Williams from St. Mary’s Cemetery, Tenby, to the family vault in the churchyard of the parish of Mothvey, Carms.

1882 21 March. A faculty was issued for the removal of the body of William Pearson Lambert from Tenby Churchyard to Chester Cemetery.

1891 5 October. A faculty was granted for the erection of a chancel screen in the parish church.

1898 18 December. A faculty was issued for the erection of a Holy Table in the north east aisle of the parish church.

…………………….

The old house - Tudor Merchants house.

Last survivor of the many fine Tudor mansions that formerly adorned Tenby. Dates chiefly from the 15c or early 16c and originally formed part of a much larger building including the houses on either side, approached by what are now blocked doorways. Built of stone with round Flemish chimney contains some original fireplaces and windows. On the one remaining original partition on the ground floor under 23 coats of whitewash was discovered some painted decoration on the plaster in red, black and white.

………………………..

St Catherine’s Island.

It had a chapel on it in ancient times.  In 1864 a fort was built upon it as part of the defences of Milford Haven and the Dockyard of Pembroke Dock.

……………………….

1108. Henry I sent immigrant Flemings to settle Tenby under Norman Protection.

1153. Maredudd and Rhys the sons of Gruffydd ap Rhys crossed the sands from Amroth, captured and slew the garrison of Tenby Castle.

1172. Giraldus Cambrensis first rector of St Mary’s parish church.

1187. Maelgwn ap Rhys laid waste the town.

1204-1214. (From an inspeximus 5 Edward III, Cal Pat Rolls 1330 1334 p67 Dugdale , Mon., Vol IV p321)

Grant by William Marshall, earl of Pembroke, for the souls of himself, Isabella, his wife, and all his ancestors and heirs, to the church of St John the Evangelist and St Nicholas the Confessor, of Pembroch, and the monks there of the tithes of his vills of Penbroke, Tynbeh, and Castle Martin, in free alms. Witnesses: Geoffrey, bishop of St David's, Robert son of Richard, Geoffrey son of Robert, Ralph Bluet, Nicholas Avenel.

1205-10. Gir. Camb. De Rebus (RS) Vol3 pp353 4.

When the church of Thunebech was vacant, Geoffrey, Bishop of St David's immediately solicited it from Philip, the prior of Pembroch, several times, urging earnestly and by all means, that he should confer that church on a certain clerk of his, that thereby he could use those fish as he wished. When the prior replied to him that he was bound under a firm guarantee to confer his first vacant parish in Master Gerald, the bishop promised, under certain security, that he would make himself responsible for the whole parish and charge of expenses if Gerald should reclaim that church; moreover, he undertook, under a firm bond, that he would give the half part of all the tithes of fish of that church, which there abounded, to the prior as long as he lived and to the monks dwelling there with him, to their own use.

1219. William Marshal died. He left to the monks of Pembroke, the title of Pembroke mill, Causey Mill Tenby and King's Mill at Castlemartin. He was buried in the Temple Church London.

1231 June 10. Westminster. Patent Rolls 15 Henry III,  m.2 (Cal p 437).

Mandate to Henry "Crasso", constable of Pembroke and Richard "de Rupe", constable of Tenby, ordering them to deliver up their respective castles with their appurtenances to John Marshall and Aumaric of St Amand, to whom the king has granted their custody.

1260. The town sacked by Llewelyn the Last.

1280’s town reconstructed by William de Valance who issued a new Charter.

1307. Countess Joan, wife of William de Valance died.

1307 September 20. Inq. Post Mortem, C Edward II File 4(1) (Cal p 21a)

Lands etc of Joan de Valencia, Countess of Pembroke.

m.1 Writ 20 Sept 1307.

m.2 The Marches of Wales, Castle Godrich. Inq Thursday after St Denis 1 Edward II.

m.3 The Marches of Wales. Inq. Friday after St Luke, 1 Edward II.

Teneb[er]ey (sic) Jurors: John Jacob, William Godwyn, Adam Wader, Walter Horwod, Stephen clericus  John de Esse, Wigard le Taylur, Walter Peneres, Walter Hun, John Turner, John Felagh, David Reymund.

Extent; 20a. foreign land paying 20s yearly in equal sums at Michaelmas and Easter; 241 burgages, paying £12 12d. do.; 1a meadow, worth 2s yearly, payable at Michaelmas; 2 mills, one water mill and one wind mill, worth 66s 8d yearly, payable in equal sums, etc., as above; 6 "burgesses by the wind" (adventicii burgenses), paying 6s yearly, in equal sums, etc. prise of beer in the town, worth yearly 20s; tolls worth yearly 20s; perquisites of the Courts, worth yearly 20s. Aymer, her son, aged 36 and more, is her next heir.

1324. Town and Castle of Tenby in the said county, etc. The castle is worth nothing beyond reprisals; in the said town of Tynebey, there are 220 burgages paying a yearly rent of £11 as above; 50a of arable land are rented at 8d per acre, payable as above; 1a meadow, worth 12d yearly; 11a pasture, worth 3d per acre yearly;

The customs of the port with the tolls of the town are worth 60s yearly; the prises of mead and beer 20s yearly; 2 water mills and 3 wind mills, worth £10 yearly; the pleas and perquisites of the courts worth 20s yearly.

          Sum £28 12s 1d

1328. Grant made to the town by Edward III of certain dues for seven years to help the inhabitants to enclose their town and build a quay.

1344 August 12. C Inq Misc File 152(8) (Cal p 478 No 1907).

Writ to the Mayor and Bailiffs of Bristol . Risyng, 12 August

Inquisition, Bristol 28 August 1344.

William le Whyte of Tynbegh, mariner, lately in a certain ship in the Irish Sea, was driven by a storm to Dunbretayn in Scotland on Thursday next after the Purification last past, and was imprisoned by the king's enemies there for a fortnight and more; he did not willingly land there, and he has no goods.

1348 September 2. Westminster . I. P. M. Edward III, files 91 and 92 Lawrence de Hastynges.

Tenby.   In the said county is the said town of Tenby with castle; the said castle is worth nothing beyond reprisals (magnas exigit reprisas); rent of assise of the town, £12 12s at Easter and Michaelmas; 50a arable, 50s; 1a meadow, 18d; 12a. pasture, 7s; "burgesses by the wind" and chensers (adventicii et casarii), 26s 8d; customs of the port together with the toll of the town, 60s yearly; prise of mead and beer, 40s yearly; three wind mills and one water mill, worth £13 6s 8d. yearly; and the pleas and perquisites of the Hundred there are worth yearly 13s 4d; and the pleas and perquisites of the Foreign courts there 50s.

1348 Nov 7. Sandwich. Patent Roll, 22 Edward III pt 3 m 26 ( Cal. ,pp199 200).

Edward III granted to his servant (famulo), William Redhefd, for his life, the constableship of the castle of Tenebegh , with the office of "cachepoll" of that town, with the wages of 1d a day at Pembroke, out of the earl's exchequer there.

1366. Patent Roll, 40 Edward III, pt 1, m. 6 & 3.

Extent of the manor of Tinbegh. Rent of burgages, £10 12s 6d Pleas, prises and protections, £14 7s 6d; the demesne and the meadow, 6s 8d; mills 33s 4d; Courts of Tinbegh, 2s; pleas of the Court of the Castle, together with the pleas of the tenants of Coytrach, 60s. Sum total, £30 2s.

1370 January 22 Westminster. Close Roll 43 Edward III, m 1 (Cal p 223).

To Edward, Prince of Aquitane and Wales, his stewards and representatives, and to the mayor and bailiffs of Tynby in Wales. Order, as they love the king and his honour and desire the salvation of the realm, to cause all ships of 100 tons burden and upwards with sufficient gear which are in the port of that town to be arrested without delay, furnished with seamen, men at arms, armed men and archers, and brought to the port of Plymouth, so that they be there at latest within four days after the Purification next, ready each ship with double equipment of seamen to sail on the king's service in the company of Guy de Bryene as he shall give them notice on the king's behalf; as the king has charged the said Guy to sail with certain ships of the realm to resist the malice of the king's enemies of France, who are now at sea, and with God's help to destroy them.

1376 28 May. Westminster. Inq A.O.D. File 389, 125.

Writ,  Westminster,  28 May,  50 Edward III (1376), following petition by the burgesses of Tenby requesting a grant of the privilege that they should be quit from toll throughout England, Ireland and Wales, as the burgesses of Pembroke, Haverfordwest, Carmarthen are, in respect of which they now suffer seriously.

Inquisition, before Thomas de Castro, steward and sheriff of Pembroke, Tuesday next after Feast of Apostles Peter and Paul, 50 Edward III.

Jurors: Mathie Wougan, William Malesium, Richard Wyriot, Peter Perot, John Scarloge, Thomas Perot, William Benger, Phillip Estenere, John Lucas, Laurence Bromhulle, Philip Percivall, and William Whyte.

Who say that it would not be to the damage and prejudice of the king to grant that the burgesses of the town of Tenby be quit of toll, murage, plancage, and passage, and all other customs as the burgesses of Pembroke etc: as above.

1377. Richard II seized the alien priory of Pembroke which time an extent of its possessions was taken.

Extenta Prioratus de Pembrochia 1 Ric II.

Pensiones pertin.  ad dictum Prioratum. Ecclesia de Tymbregh redd. per annum ad eodem term xiijs iiid.

1386 Tenby. Inquisitions Miscellaneous Chancery File 237. (Old ref IPM, 10 Richard II,  no 131).

Inquisition taken at the town of Tenby in Wales, which is a member and parcel of the county (comitatus) of Pembroke in the said county, Saturday: Morrow of St Matthew, Apostle and Evangelist, 10 Richard II, before William Gwyn, William Barwell, King's escheator (sic), in the county of Hereford and the March of Wales.

Jurors: William Pecock, Thomas Lonv, John Wysman, Richard Palmere, Thomas White, John Campylon, Thomas Newe, Robert Helyere, David Theo, John Pollard, Philip Lange, and Walter Nicholl, men of the said town of Tenby and neighbourhood.  Who say that since the king by his letters patent dated 9 March 1 Richard II, granted to William Beauchamp, kt. the custody of the castle and county of Pembroke, among other premises, by reason of the minority of John, son and heir of John Hastings, late Earl of Pembroke, much damage has been done to the castle and town of Tenby, namely, the wall of the castle, during the said William's custody, through want of repair has partly fallen, damage 20s, the chamber called Loedys chamber in the said castle, through want of roofing, has damaged to the extent of 8 marks; the iron bars of the window of the chancery (fenestre cancelle) in the castle were removed and destroyed, loss 12d; the lead covering the chamber over the castle gate is decayed and rotted to the extent of 33s 4d; a certain Pentys over the Castle Gate, and the house of the horse mill (molendini equinii) through defective roofing during the said period has decayed to the extent of 10s 8d; the gates of the castle, and one Tripget made for the defence of the castle, through want of repair, decayed to the extent of £4 13s 4d;  two messuages held by John Michiel, through want of roofing decayed to the extent of 100s; messuage held at will by Richard Smyth in Boldeswallis in the town of Tenby decayed etc. 40s;  a windmill over Magdalene's house through want of repair decayed etc. 7s 3d;  do. a messuage in the town of Tenby where David Baugh used to live, through defective roofing etc. 5s. A messuage called Boldeshous, through want of repair 20s; a messuage lately held by William Coffyn in Ffrogmorestrete in the said town, through defective roofing 3s 4d; all which destructions and damage took place during the custody of the said William Beauchamp, by himself and his ministers to the manifest contempt and prejudice of our lord the king.

1389 Feb 17. CPR.i, p. 164.

On February, 1389, one Thomas Fort was pardoned for revealing the secrets of the castles of Tenby, Pembroke, etc.

1390. PATENT ROLL, 13 Richard II. 2, pt. 22 (Cal., p. 272). 2 Jan.

Grant for life, to Thomas Hamme, one of the butlers of the cellar within the king's household, of the office of constable of the castle of Tynbybll' co. Pembroke, Wales, provided that office is not one of the offices excepted by ordinance of the Great Council.

1394 8 Sept. Cardiff. PATENT ROLL 18 Richard 11, pt. I, n. 22 (Cal, p. 483).

Protection, with clause volumus for half a year for William Barlow of Teneby, going to Ireland in the king's company on his service there.

            By bill of p s.

1396  8 Dec. PATENT ROLL, 20 Richard II, pt 1, IX. 8 (C4 l., p. 40).

Grant of the castle, county and lordship of Pembroke, the castle and town of Tenby, and the commotes of Oysterlowe, Saint Clere, and Trahayn, to Isabel, Queen of England, etc., of Kilgarran.

1397 14 February. Dispute over who was the appointed Rector of Tenby - Thomas Picton, rector of the parish church of Tynbegh and warden or rector of the free chapel of Oggeston, of our diocese or William Skyll.

1399 29 Nov. PATENT R0LL 1 Henry IV pt. 4, m 21 (Cal p 140).

Grant to William Beauchamp of the custody of the castle and county of Pembroke , the castles and the lordships of Tenby and Kilgarran and the commote of Osterlowe with etc.

1401 7 Feb. PATENT ROLLS 2 Henry IV, pt 2, m. 37 ( Cal p. 426).

Grant for life to John Paunsefote, 'chivaler' (maimed on the king's service in Scotland ), of £40 yearly from the farms of the castles and lordships of Pembroke Tynby, and Kilgarran and the commote of Osterlowe.

1402 Mar 21. PATENT ROLL, 3 Suture I V, w. 6 (Cat OE 54).

Inspeximus and confirmation to John Steven, esquire, of letters patent of the king's kinsman William de Bello Campo lord of Pembroke and Bergeveney, dated at (Carmarthen 12 October, 2 Henry IV, appointing the said John, by the name of John Stephen, constable of the castle and town of Tenebye for his own life, receiving the accustomed wages and fees; and grant, with the assent of the council of the said of fine to him for life, receiving the accustomed wages, viz., 2d. daily, with the due fees and other profits and commodi ties.

1402 24 Oct. PATENT ROLL 4 Henry IV  pt 1 m 21 (Cal p 167).

Grant to Thomas de Percy of 500 marks out of the issues of the castle and county of Pembroke , the castles and lordships of Tyneby and Kilgarran, and the commote of Osterlowe, etc.

1402. First mayor by charter from Henry IV.

1403. Henry IV ordered the keepers of the passage in Tenby and Pembroke to permit nobody through without the King’s licence.

1403. Protection for the King’s people, ships and goods of Tenby going to England Aquitane and Ireland to trade.

1403  30 Oct. PATENT R0LL 5 Henry IV, pt. I, m. 27 ( Cal p 315).

Grant to Francis de Court of the castles and lordship of Pembroke, Tyneby and Kilgaren and the commute of Osterlonve, etc.

1403  November 17th.

Also on 17th November, in the year above said, the same reverend father committed to master John Kermerdyn his official, to make inquisition touching the vacancy of the parish church of Tynnerby to which Master John Cole is presented by the religious men the prior and monks of the holy priory of St Nicholas, Pembroke, and if this inquisition find in full in favour of the presenters and the presentee, to admit the same presentee to the said church and to institute him canonically and cause him to be inducted as rector of the same. And he had letters in the usual form.

1403  December 10th.

Also on the 10 December, in the year and place aforesaid, the bishop admitted John Brokholl clerk, to the parish church of Tynneby, of his diocese, vacant by the death of Master Thomas Picton, last rector of the same, to which he is presented to the bishop by the most excellent etc., Henry etc., King of England, as pertaining to his gift by reason of the temporalities of the alien priory of Pembroke being in his hand on account of the war between himself and his adversary of France, and instituted him etc. And he took the oath etc; and it was written to Sir. Waleys, vicar of the said church etc; and he had letters etc.

1404 10 May. PATENT ROLL, 6 Henry IV, pt1 (Cal p 486).

Licence for John Banoun, burgess of Tenby, and David Iron, dwelling in the same town, to convey certain provisions from England to Kidwelly and Llanstephan for the victualling and garnishing of these farms.

1405. Attacked with aid of French reinforcements by Owain Glyndwr.

1408  3 Sept.  PATENT ROLL, 9 Henry IV pt  2 m  4 (Cal p 468).

Pardon to John Adam of Tynby for all felonies, etc., committed by him except treason, murder, rape and common larceny.

1414 20 July. PATENT ROLL (Cal p 170).

Grant of Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, of the castles and lordships of Pembroke, Tenbeigh and the commotes of Ostrelawe, Treyne, and Seynclere in Wales , etc.

1418. 1st July. Southampton Patent  Roll, 5  Henry V, m.8  (Cal.,p.129).

Whereas the king's brother Humphrey, duke of Gloucester holds of the king, among other premises, the castle, town and Lordship of Pembroke, the manor called “la Priorie" of Pembroke, the castle and town of Tynby, the manor and hundred of Castlemartyn, the castle and lordship of Llanstephan, the manors of Ostrelowe and Trene, the third part of the Manor of Seynclere, the castle, town and lordship of Kylgarran; the King grants licence for him to enfeoff certain persons of the same to hold to themselves and their heirs until they have levied the sum in which he is at present indebted will be for life.

1436 18 April.  PATENT ROLL, 4 Henry VI, pt. 2, m21 (Cal., p.583).

Mandate to all bailiffs and others to permit Godfrey Culmer, born in Almain, dwelling in Tynby in Wales , who has taken an oath of fealty to inhabit the realty peaceably and enjoy his goods.

1442. St Mary's parish church of Tenby was presented with the priory of Monkton by the Earl of Pembroke to his friend the Abbot of St Albans who passed the church on to his sisters in the Convent of St Mary de la Pre. Founded by King John for the health of his own, his ancestors and his heirs souls and built for God, lepers and diseased women in a meadow near St Albans.

1448 2 June. PATENT ROLL, 26 Henry VI pt 2 m 14 (Cal., p.174).           

Grant to William de la Pole, marquis of Suffolk and earl of Pembroke whom the king this day has created Earl of Suffolk and Alice his wife in taile male heirs of the castles and lordships of Pembrok, Tenby and Kylgaren and the commotes of  Estrelawe, Treylle and Seynclere in Wales and the castle and lordship of Lanstephan in Wales and the chancellor shall have power to amend any defects in these presents; in lieu of grants to the same of the premises by letters patent dated 28 November, 20 Henry VI, 27 February, 21 Henry VI, and 3 March, 25 Henry VI, surrendered.

1450 2 June. PATENT ROLL, 28 Henry VI, pt. 2,m 14 (Cal, p.337).

Grant for life to the king's knight, Richard Vernon, of the offices of sheriff of the county of Pembroke , constable of Pembroke and Tenby castles master-forester of Caydrath and steward of the lordship of Lanstaffan Ustenley and Seyncler with the usual wages, fees and profits.

1451. 25 June. PATENT ROLL, 29 Henry VI pt. 2, m 10. ( Cal. 463).

Grant for life to John Vernon, esquire, son of Richard Vernon, knight of the offices of sheriff of the county of Pembroke, constable of Pembroke and Tynby Castles, master forester of Cadrath and steward of the lordships of Lanstaffan, Ustenley Seyn-clyer and Traney, to hold himself or by deputies, with the usual wages, fees and profits, in lieu of a like grant thereof to Richard by letters patent, surrendered.

1454. ROT. PARL., if, pp. 260-l.

Confirmation to Jasper, Earl of Pembroke, of diver’s castles and manors, etc., including the County, Castle, and Lordship of Pembroke with its members and appurtenances, to wit:

The hundred and lordship of Castle Martin.

The lordship of St. Fflorence.

The Lordship and Forest of Coydrath .

The Castle, Lordship and Town of Tenby .

The lordship and bailiwick of West Pembroke and East Pembroke .

The Bailwicks of Dongleddy, Rous, and Kemmeys.

Half the Ferry of Burton .

1457. Jasper Tudor assisted the inhabitants to carry out extensive repairs to the town walls.

1462. 3 Feb. PATENT ROLL, I Edward IV, pt. 4, m 16 (Cal., p.114).

Grant to William Herbert, king's knight, lately raised to the state of baron, and the heirs of his body, for his good services against Henry VI. Henry duke of Exeter,  Jasper earl of Pembroke, James earl of Wilts , and other rebels of the castle, town and lordship of Pembroke, the hundred and lordship of Castlemartyn, the lordship of St. Florence; the lordship and forest of Coydrath, the castle, lordship and town of Teneby.

1480. Acc/to the Wallingford Registry of St Albans Monastery Hertfordshire, it appears that the Abbot of St Albans was at that date patron of the following Rectories  and Vicarages in Pembrokeshire……

Rectoria de Tyneby……..

The Mayor and Burgesses of Tenby were granted leave to nominate two chaplains in the parish church of Cronweare with the donation of the hermitage of St David's, near

Pembroke.

1483 16 May. PATENT ROLL, 1 Edward V, m3 (Cal p.349-50).

Grant for life to the king's kingsman Henry, duke of Buckingham, of the offices of constable of the castle and town of Tonebigh , co. Pembroke.

1483. The presentation of the Church of Tenby, at the instance of the Lord Richard, Duke of Gloucester, was promised to Magister Roger Hanley at the next vacancy.

1484 11 Jan.   PATENT ROLL, 1 Richard III, pt. 3, m15 (Cal. p.414).

Grant for life to the king's servant, Richard Williams esquire, one of the ushers of the king’s chamber of the offices of constable and steward of the kings castle, town and lordship of Pembroke, with their members in South Wales, constable of the castle of Tynby .

1484. Grant to the Mayor and Burgesses of Tenby, and their successors, of the nomination of two fit and proper persons as chaplains of the church and parish of Cronwere whenever the living is vacant. If the emoluments do not amount to eight marks per annum, the mayor and burgesses to make it up. Also to the hermitage of St. Daniel’s, the lands, oblations and emoluments, the proceeds of which are to be applied for the relief of the poor. To be used for no other purpose than as hermitages.

1484 12 Feb. PATENT ROLL, 1 Richard III. pt. 3, m19 (Cal., p.410).

Grant for life to the king's servant, John White the elder of the town of Tenibie and his assigns of all the lands, meadows and pastures by and within the town called 'lez Demaynes',  'Fugatif Londes', 'Watellvyashyll ', and 'Rigons Close', with two wind mills called 'lez Wynde Mylles', and a water mill called ‘le water wynch mylle', with all appurtenances to hold to the value of £10 yearly, rendering to the king a red rose at the feast of St. Peter ad Vincula, provided that he sufficiently repair the premises.

1484. May 31. Presentation of Dominus Richard Langshawe, chaplain to the Abbot of St. Albans, who was presented to the Rectory of Tenbie, vacated by the resignation of Magister John Hunden, late Bishop of Llandaff. (Presumably Roger Hanley had obtained another living, or was dead).

1486. June 20. On the 20 June in the same year, at the manor of Lantfey, Sir John ap Res was admitted to the vicarage of the church of the Blessed Mary Tenby vacant by the death of Sir Philip Smyth and in the presentation of Sir Richard Langshaw, rector of the same church, patron of the said vicarage.

1488. 12 February. Henry etc., to H. bishop of St. David's greeting.

We command you that you do not for any liberty omit to enter and cause to be levied for us of goods, benefices, and ecclesiastical possessions, of the underwritten churches in your diocese the sums written by parcels below, namely of the church of Tenby, 50s.

1493 14 July. On 14 July in the same year and place Sir David Vachan, chaplain, was admitted by Lord Hugh bishop etc. to the wardenship of the hospital or house of St. John the Baptist within the liberty of Tenby and was canonically instituted as warden or guardian of the said hospital with all its right and pertinences, long time Vacant!, on the presentation of the illustrious prince Jasper brother and uncle of kings duke of Bedford and earl of Pembroke, true patron of the said hospital. And it was written to the archdeacon of St David’s for his induction.

1505 18 September. Patent Roll 21 Henry VII, pt 1 m4.

Grant to William Bowen, clerk, of the mastership or wardenship of the hospital of St John the Baptist in Tenby, void by the death of John White clerk.

1510 18 June. LETTERS, Henry VIII papers, Vol. 1, p. 164. (Pat 2, Henry VIII, p.2 m12).

For William Morgan of Carmarthen .

To be constable of the castle of Tynby , Pembroke, during pleasure, so lately held by William Lloid; for his service done to the late king against the rebels of Cornwall upon Blak Heth, where he was sore hurt and maimed.

1512  6 July.  LETTERS, Henry VIII Papers, Vol1 p 3 74(Pat. 4, Henry VIII, p.2, m5).

For Thomas Johnes.

To be court clerk, during pleasure, of co. Pembroke, and of the town of Tenbye .

1514. 16 September.  LETTERS, Henry VII Papers, Vo1 1 p 883. (Pat. 6, Henry VIII, p.2, m.10).

For Morres ap Parry, yeoman for the King's mouth in his cellar.

To be constable of the castle of Tenby, with the custody of the woods called "Coyde Raf", Pembroke.

1516  21 April. LETTERS, Henry VIII Papers, Vol 2 pt 1 p 513 (Pat. 7, Henry VIII, p.1, m.13).

For Maurice Aparry, yeoman for the King's mouth.

Grant of Radnore Forest, and to be constable of Tenby Castle , Pembroke, with the custody of Coyde Rafe, and 2d. a day: also an annuity of 10 marks, out of the lordship of Staunton Lacy, Salop, which Maurice Ludlowe held by grant of the late Duke of York.

1518 16 October. LETTERS, Henry VIII Papers, Vol. 2, pt. 2, p.1384 (Pat. 10 Henry VIII, p.2, m.11).

For Maurice Apparry, yeoman for the King's mouth in the cellar.

To be constable of Tenby castle, and to have the custody of the woods called Coyde Raf, Pembroke, S. Wales, with fees from 16 Sept., 6 Henry VIII, on surrender of patent 16 Sept., 6 Henry VIII.

1524. LETTERS, Henry VIII Papers, Vol. 4. p428.

Accounts

Fees and wages in the circuit of Thos. Roberts and John Peryent, auditors, granted by Henry VII and Henry VIII.

Pembrokeshire. - Sir Wm. Parre seneschal, £26 13s 4d.

Maurice Butler, customer (40s.) and constable (l00s.) of the castle at Tenby £7.

Sir Thos ap Phillips and John Thos. Philip, £5.

Maurice ap Harry, constable of Tynby castle and keeper of the wood of Coidrath, £41 11s.

Jas. Elliot, porter 60s. 8d.

Ric.  Lloid, King's Attorney, £4;

Roberts and Peryent, £6 13s 4d.

= £60. 5s. and granted by the present King.

1526. LETTERS and PAPERS Henry VIII, Vol. 4, p. 872.

No.1941. Officers in Wales - (Paper Rol1, B. Mus. R.MS 14 B. xxvii.)

Sir William Parre, seneschal, chancellor and receiver of Pembroke £26 13s 4d.

Maurice Butler, customer of Tenby and Westhaverford and constable of Pembroke castle £9.

John Thomas ap Philip, sheriff of Pembroke - £5.

Maurice ap Henry, constable of Tenby castle, and Henry Cadern, clerk of the court of Westhaverford - £42 13s 4d.

John Stephens, porter and constable of Westhaverford -  £9 14s.

1528.  Del. Hampton Court, 1[5] March, 19 Hen. VIII. S.B.

Griffin Rede, usher of the chamber To be customer and butler and "silaginer" (sealer in the po

1532 21 January. 23 Henry VIII, possession was taken of all castles, lordships, lands, rents, and of any other possession whatsoever in the aforesaid county, lately belonging to Rees ap Griffith, in the presence of many there.

Old Carewe. - in the castle there 21 January, 1532, Possession taken of all lands, etc.

Haverfordwest - in the tenement where Owen Whythe now lives, 24 January, 1532, etc.

Tenby - the tenement occupied by David Tanner, 29 January, 1532, etc.

Narberth - in the castle there, 19 January.

1534-5. In the rural deanery of Pembroke there were 41 parishes all told. Within this deanery were some of the best benefices in the county, Carew (£43) Tenby (£26) and Narberth (£25). In all there were 12 parishes worth more £10 pounds a year.  Of these only two had a resident parson in 1534, and they were two of the least valuable   Begelly (£12) and Bosheston (£11).

1536. Union-with-England.

1536. Dissolution of the Monasteries.

1566. A document drawn up in 1566 gives the names of all ports creeks and landing places in Pembrokeshire based on the certificates returned to the Piracy Commissions appointed in 1565 and 1577 for the suppression of piracy. The list is given as Tenby, Caldy, Stackpole, Newgale, Rhoscrowther, Popton, Pwllcrochan, Pembroke, Creswell, Carew, Lawrenny, Landshipping, Dale, Sandyhaven, Gellyswick, Hubbaston, Great Pill, Little Pill, Newtown , Neyland, Burton , Llangwm, St Brides Bay, Nolton, Solva, Porthclais, Porth Mawr, Trefin, Fishguard, Newport and St Dogmaels.

1581. Charter of Incorporation from Elizabeth I gave power to Tenby mayor to decide on tolls for the harbour. Also allowed the town to hold a fair on the feast day of St Margaret with a court of pie powder held on the day of the fair by the mayor to settle any cheating or double dealing.

1588. Elizabeth I refortified the town walls against invasion from the Spanish Armada.

1627. The mayor held an inquiry into the whereabouts of Wills Mark.

1638. The death of William Risam, past mayor. On his monument in St Mary’s is recorded

--Two hundred pounds and Fifty more, he gave this town to help the poor, the use of one on cloth and coals bestow, for twelve decrepid, means and low; let fifty pounds to five be yearly lent, the others use on burges son be spent.

1643. Civil War. The town’s leading men stood for Parliament but became Royalist when the King’s men threatened to blockade.

1644. Parliamentary forces took the town after a three day siege.

1648. Col. Rice Powell, Parliamentary governor of Tenby, disenchanted with his superiors, held the town for the King, until 1230 men under Cromwell, bombarded the town and threatened to storm it. Tenby surrendered.

1648. Mayor’s account shows 4s for a gallon of wine for Cromwell.

1648. October 9. Carmarthen. [Colonel] Rowland Dawkins to Captain Beale: In regard to the poverty of Tinby you are to march to Haverfordwest and to Quarter your soldiers there until further order. Haverfordwest Corporation MS 262.

1649. On his way to Ireland Cromwell gave Tenby £100 for the poor.

1650-51. The Plague: Mayor gave 113s at the rate of 1s a burial to the poor for shrouds.

1650. House to house collection in Haverfordwest for the relief of the sick and distressed in Tenby.

1656. George Fox, founder of the Quakers, visited the town.

1671. Petition from Tenby to Charles II for suppression of a market in Narberth.

1676. His Majesty (Charles II) retaining a gracious memory of the constant loyalty of that town and how much they suffered in the late times for their fidelity to his royal father and likewise considering the convenience and usefulness of the harbour there for trade and the reception and security of ships in time of danger and that divers able seamen are there bred for his majesties service upon all occasions ordered that no patent be given for a market at Narbeth.

1688. Letters patent granted Narberth a weekly market and three annual fairs.

1697. The bomb vessel BLAST made port November 5th, separated from the rest of the fleet on her way back from Newfoundland by stormy weather, spent 2 months waiting for a new mast to be fitted. From Princes, pigs and people of Tenby by Wendy Osborne.

1711. James Callow was Tenby’s first postmaster for £6 per year.

1721. Thomas Athoe was mayor and was later hanged for murdering his nephew.  Journeying home to Manorbier one night from a troublesome day at the market in Tenby he murdered his nephew. There had been family rivalry for a while and the dark and narrow bridge over the Ritec was too good an opportunity for settling the quarrel. His trial and execution brought a certain notoriety to the town as he was found innocent by a court in Pembroke and it took the Court of the Kings Bench in Westminster and a New Act of Parliament ordaining that all murders or robberies committed in, on or about the borders of Wales should be tried in any county in England, to finally bring him to justice.

1765. Tenby and Haverfordwest between them shipped 807 tons of coal to London .

1767. Five Arches originally St George’s Gate Sir J. Banks wrote in his diary:

“The gate seems well constructed for defence as there is one gate in the tower and another into the town; so that when the tower gate is forced, that of the town is still to be attacked, and by no more men than can stand in the tower, where they must be subject to the offensive weapons of the besieged”.

It only escaped destruction in 1873 through the efforts made by a public spirited resident who appealed to the Court of Chancery and obtained an injunction against the local vandals.

1767. Sir Joseph Banks also records that he saw within the walls  most complete ruins of the old town, two large streets, the houses still standing though unroofed.

1780. Tenby Poor wore three inch red letters on their shoulders. From Princes, pigs and people of Tenby by Wendy Osborne.

1780. The Last service in St Julian’s Fishermans Chapel on the old pier where fishermen used to assemble before setting out for the fishing grounds, to hear prayers offered up for a good haul and a safe return. Offerings of 4d from each man and 1d for each ship, and tithes of fish and oysters were paid to the Rector of St Mary’s for his services. When the fishermen became less devout it was proposed that services should be abandoned, the rector, it is said was agreeable to this but still required the payment of the tithes. He agreed finally to a sum in compensation. It is believed that this was the last place in Wales where such services were held.

1780’s. John Paul Jones reputed to have come ashore dressed all in black with a riding whip in his hand, used to water his ship Ranger at Caldy island. From Princes, pigs and people of Tenby by Wendy Osborne.

1781. Dr John Jones of Haverfordwest leased St Julian’s chapel and turned it into a bath house.

1781. The North gateway, badly damaged by the civil war and now in the way of traffic was pulled down. (Site now occupied by the Gatehouse and Lion Hotel.)

1784. “Tis observed by the mayor and council that great numbers of pigs are suffered to go about the streets of this borough, which is become an insufferable nuisance to the inhabitants thereof. Tis therefore thought necessary to appoint two constables to impound all pigs that shall be found going about the streets and environs of this borough in the common pound”. From Princes, pigs and people of Tenby by Wendy Osborne.

1790. The mayors accounts show 15s a week paid to ringers for teaching the town ringers to ring the new church bells to prevent their being broken.

1802. Lord Nelson and the Hamiltons visited Tenby for a performance of the Mock Doctor at the Blue Ball Inn in Frog St . They had been visiting Hamilton lands around Milford Haven and dined at Amroth Castle.

A fellow guest noticed that Lady Hamilton was attired in a white cotton Indian dress, red morocco waistband fastened with a diamond buckle, red morocco slippers and diamond buckles,. Nelson devoted himself to her the greater part of the evening.

The three then spent some time and £8 13s in Tenby where Mr Gore, a strolling player also in the town, wrote of - an exhibition which though greatly ridiculous was not wholly so for it was likewise pitiable and this was in the persons of two individuals who have lately occupied much public attention; I mean the Duke of Bronte, Lord Nelson and Emma, Lady Hamilton. The whole town was at their heels as they walked together. The lady is grown immensely fat and equally coarse, while her companion in arms had taken the other extreme; thin shrunken and to my impression, in bad health. They were evidently vain of each other... Poor Sir William! Wretched but not abashed, he followed at a short distance.

1807. Sir William Paxton bought the towns cross with its pedestal for two guineas and removed it from the centre of the roadway where the present Tudor Square meets St Julian St, to the garden of the Rectory in the Norton now a private housing estate - Merlins Gardens.

Kiln Park Lime kilns designed by John Nash [also designed Brighton Pavilion and Regent St .]

1810. Quay gate removed. It had stood on the southern side of the harbour by the sluice wall and led into a steep narrow road winding between two walls and through a passage. A new road was built from the harbour, on arches.

1812. Charles Norris published his etchings of Tenby’s antiquities.

1831. The National School was begun on Castle Hill - now the museum.

1839. The infant School was begun.

1840. Start of Tenby police force.

1840. Trinity Board set up their life saver on Woolhouse Rocks.

1844. The wreck of the brig Richard.

1855. The year of the Florence , Tenby’s first lifeboat; a great awkward looking craft painted light blue, curved and rising to a peak each end with a crew of seven or eight in jackets of parallel strips of cork bound together. From Princes, pigs and people of Tenby by Wendy Osborne.

1858. The Tenby Grammar School was founded.

1863. Pembroke Tenby railway line was opened.

1869. St Catherine’s Fort was completed. The island had a chapel on it in ancient times and 1864 a fort was started upon it as part of the defences of Milford Haven and the Dockyard of Pembroke Dock.

1871. Tenby Cottage Hospital was built, had water beds and an ambulance litter.

1876. The crèche and day nursery was opened. To enable mothers to follow their outdoor calling with the knowledge that their children will be duly taken care of, and also allow of the elder children attending school, in lieu of nursing the younger.

Rules of the crèche:

1 No children admitted above 5 years of age, children above three required to bring their school pence with them.

2 Two pence to be charged for each child, each day, including food.

3 The hours of admission are from eight in the morning to eight in the evening. Children are expected to be in time for nursery breakfast at 8.30 and must be punctually removed when the nursery closes.

4 No child with an infectious disorder admitted under any circumstances.

5 Children must be brought quite clean.

From Princes, pigs and people of Tenby by Wendy Osborne.

1877. Tenby and County Club Croft Terrace opened.

1878. A new St Julian’s Chapel was built from voluntary contributions with a memorial window to three Tenby fishermen, John Lillycrop, his son John and John Child, drowned off Caldey on Ash Wednesday.

1878. Tenby Fire brigade was presented with a Fire Engine by the Sun Fire Office and a fire escape by the society for the Protection of Life from Fire.

1897. Royal Victoria Pier and Landing stage was opened.

1915. The town walls were classed as ancient monuments by His Majesty’s Office of Works.

1938. The Old Merchants House in Bridge Street taken over by the National Trust to be preserved as an ancient building. Tudor Merchants last survivor of the many fine Tudor mansions that formerly adorned Tenby. Dates chiefly from the 15 or early 16c and originally formed part of a much larger building including the houses on either side, approached by what are now blocked doorways. Built of stone with round Flemish chimney, contains some original fireplaces and windows. On the one remaining original partition on the ground floor under 23 coats of whitewash was discovered some painted decoration on the plaster in red, black and white.

1974. March 19th the last council meeting of Tenby Borough Council under the provisions of a Local Government Act (1972); which ended the corporate existence of the town. Councillor Mrs Iris Davies was the 584th and last mayor of the borough.

He arth Tax 1670.

Hitchin Elinor                 Tenby Villa       H

Hughes Andrew            Tenby Villa       H4

Row Thomas                Tenby Villa       H5

King Elinor                   Tenby Villa       H2 

Rogers Thomas            Tenby Villa       H3

Ridro Elizabeth             Tenby Villa       H2

Hasling Thomas            Tenby Villa       H3

Evans William.              Tenby Villa       H

Kethin John                  Tenby Villa       H

Upcott Ann                  Tenby Villa       H 

Leach John                   Tenby Villa       H

Linton Widdow.           Tenby Villa       H2

Harries Mr. James        Tenby Villa       H4      

Dornell Ralph               Tenby Villa       H5

Smith Francis                Tenby Villa       H3

Hensley Barry               Tenby Villa       H5

Williams Mr Thomas     Tenby Villa       H5

Sayce Mr. John            Tenby Villa       H5

Sayce Mr. John. in one other house       Tenby Villa H3

Maskell Mrs.                Tenby Villa       H3

Symond Richard           Tenby Villa       H2

Leach Ann, widdow     Tenby Villa       H3

Haile Mararett             Tenby Villa       H4

David Walter                Tenby Villa       H

Taylor Walter               Tenby Villa       H5

Merricke Wife of John  Tenby Villa  H4

Smith Joane                  Tenby Villa       H 

Atho Frauncis               Tenby Villa       H3

Hutchinson George       Tenby Villa       H 5

Hitchins Widdow          Tenby Villa       H5

Roger Mr. Thomas;      Tenby Villa       H 3

Henbury Walter            Tenby Villa       H4

Toms Henry                 Tenby Villa       H2

Butler Thomas             Tenby Villa       H5

Driver William, junior   Tenby Villa  H4

Nicholl William             Tenby Villa       H2

Robbin James               Tenby Villa       H2

Nash Leonard             Tenby Villa       H3

Lloyd Mr. James          Tenby Villa       H4

Hayle John                   Tenby Villa       H3

Christley Joseph           Tenby Villa       H4

Voyle Lettice                Tenby Villa       H3

Streat Hugh                  Tenby Villa       H2

Holmes Richard            Tenby Villa       H3

David Hugh                  Tenby Villa       H3

Bowen George             Tenby Villa       H3

Gibbon Mr. Griffith       Tenby Villa       H2

Barrett Peter                 Tenby Villa       H3

Barrow Mr Rice           Tenby Villa       H3

Collins Elizabeth           Tenby Villa       H2

Ebsworth John              Tenby Villa       H2

Hunt Jennett, widow     Tenby Villa       H2

Lort Thomas                 Tenby Villa       H2

 

Roche Mr. John, (Roach) clerk rector  Tenby Northtown H4

Parrott John                  Tenby Northtown H

Collins John                  Tenby Northtown H

Callow Mary                Tenby Northtown H2

Gibbon William Tenby Northtown H3

Jones Henry                 Tenby Northtown H7

Bowen Morgan            Tenby Northtown H2

Gray Margarett             Tenby Northtown H5

Barrow Mr. Richard     Tenby Northtown H4

Scone John                   Tenby Northtown H2

Hughes Honor Tenby Northtown H5

Lloyd Ann                    Tenby Northtown H

King Stephen                Tenby Northtown H2

Thomas Morgan.          Tenby Northtown H6 

Sherborn Johan, widow  Tenby Northtown H4

Selman John                 Tenby Northtown H2

Griffith John                  Tenby Northtown H3

Kent Thomas                Tenby Northtown H3

Evans Mr George         Tenby Northtown H4

Palmer David.  Tenby Northtown H4

Hughes Thomas.           Tenby Northtown H2

Summers Henry.           Tenby Northtown H6

Way Elizabeth .             Tenby Northtown H3

Turnill Mr. Poole          Tenby Northtown H

Watkin Thomas.           Tenby Northtown H3 

St. Jones House (The Hospital of St John the Baptist)    Tenby Northtown H4

Edmonds Katherin        Tenby Northtown P

Jones Margarett            Tenby Northtown P

Williams Thomas          Tenby Northtown P

Morgan Charles            Tenby Northtown P

Miller Charles           Tenby Northtown P

Sinnett Mary.                Tenby Northtown P

Shaggerly Peter.           Tenby Northtown P

Powell John                  Tenby Northtown P

Forand Henry               Tenby Northtown P

Griffith Robert            Tenby Northtown P

Hinton Thomas             Tenby Northtown P

Jermin David                Tenby Northtown P

Howell Edward            Tenby Northtown P

David Hugh                  Tenby Northtown P

William Griffith         Tenby Northtown P

Day Ann                       Tenby Northtown P

David Walter               Tenby Northtown P

Prichard John              Tenby Northtown P

Griffith Luce                 Tenby Northtown P

Thomas William            Tenby Northtown P

Williams John   Tenby Northtown P

Rosser William             Tenby Northtown P

Stafford Joane         Tenby Northtown P

Rowland David             Tenby Northtown P

Atho Katherine             Tenby Northtown P

Webb Mathew             Tenby Northtown P

Atho Henry                 Tenby Northtown P

White Joane                 Tenby Northtown P

Owens Ann                  Tenby Northtown P

Barrett Elizabeth           Tenby Northtown P

Harries Isaac                Tenby Northtown P

Thomas Margarett        Tenby Northtown P

Taylor Mary                 Tenby Northtown P

Beavan William             Tenby Northtown P

Thomas Catherine         Tenby Northtown P

Howell Phillipp             Tenby Northtown P

Thomas Richard           Tenby Northtown P

Maydenhead Lewis      Tenby Northtown P

James Lettice                Tenby Northtown P

Jones David                  Tenby Northtown P

Gethin Owen                Tenby Northtown P

Phillipps Katherin          Tenby Northtown P

Jones Rees                   Tenby Northtown P

Thomas John                Tenby Northtown P

James George               Tenby Northtown P

Smith John                    Tenby Northtown P

Davies Thomas             Tenby Northtown P

Thomas Katherin          Tenby Northtown P

Hardin Gwenllian          Tenby Northtown P

Scone Griffith               Tenby Northtown P

King Elnor                    Tenby Northtown P

Roberts Jennett             Tenby Northtown P

Bedford Mary             Tenby Northtown P

Davies Jasper               Tenby Northtown P

John Elizabeth           Tenby Northtown P

Mare Ann                     Tenby Northtown P

Salsbury Jone               Tenby Northtown P

Taylor Phillipp          Tenby Northtown P

Griffith Tho.                  Tenby Northtown P

Wulkox Roger         Tenby Northtown P

Webb Henry                Tenby Northtown P

Jones Mary                  Tenby Northtown P

Walcoicke Tho.            Tenby Northtown P

Lawles John                 Tenby Northtown P

Thomas Margrett          Tenby Northtown P

Gibbon Alice                Tenby Northtown P

Lewis John                   Tenby Northtown P

Leach Henry                 Tenby Northtown P

Jones Griffith                Tenby Northtown P

Hitchings Elnor             Tenby Northtown P

Athre John                    Tenby Northtown P

Morgan Nicholas          Tenby Northtown P

Heelings John               Tenby Northtown P

White David                 Tenby Northtown P

White John                   Tenby Northtown P

White Thomas         Tenby Northtown P

Lloyd Mathias         Tenby Northtown P

Haskin Tho.                  Tenby Northtown P

Jenkin John                   Tenby Northtown P

William Elnor                Tenby Northtown P

Llewellin David             Tenby Northtown P

Proute Jenett                Tenby Northtown P

Rydd Mary                   Tenby Northtown P

Thomas Richard           Tenby Northtown P

David Evan                   Tenby Northtown P

Haryes Edward            Tenby Northtown P

Webb Elinor                 Tenby Northtown P

Kethin Rece                 Tenby Northtown P

William Elizabeth          Tenby Northtown P

Bevan Reece                Tenby Northtown P

Adams John                 Tenby Northtown P

Haryes Richard         Tenby Northtown P

Hitchins Joseph             Tenby Northtown P

Clifft Edward                Tenby Northtown P

Williams Jone              Tenby Northtown P

Return to T    Return to Gazatteer


Thorne

Close to Merrion Camp, abandoned farmhouse, massive chimney, buttressed walls and an early form of doorway 17c.

Return to T    Return to Gazatteer


Treffgarne    Jottings        (956236)

The Welsh hero Owain Glyndwr was born here. The village is not very significant, with a rambling collection of houses and bungalows in the vicinity of a little bellcote church. Treffgarne Gorge is far more interesting; a natural route way followed by road rail and river. This deep cleft through the upland ridge of mid Pembrokeshire was once a haunt of robbers (and wolves), and it has always been well wooded. There are large stone quarries here, now abandoned. Above the gorge are the sentinel rocks of Maiden Castle and Lion Roch among the oldest rocks in Pembrokeshire and reminiscent of the Dartmoor tors. At the northern end of the gorge is the tourist centre of Nant y Coy mill. Iron Age fort.

It is on the Lansker dividing line, and the Brunel railway line that was never finished was supposed to go through the Gorge.

Acc/to The Old Parish Churches of South West Wales - Mike Salter 1994. Church on ancient foundations but has been completely rebuilt and lacks old features.

The rectory of Trefgarn seems to have always been in private patronage. In 1594 it was; appendant to the manor of Trefgarn, owned by the Newport family [of High Ercall, Salop]. – Owen’s Pem.

Tref Garte. - Ecclesia ibidem ex collacione Thome Newport armigeri unde Thomas Powell clericus est rector unam parvam mansionem. St valet fructus hujus beneficii per annum x19. Inde sol in ordinaria visitacione quolibet tercio anno viijd. Et in visitacione archidi aconi quo]i bet an n o pro sinodal ibus et procuracion i bus vs ixd. Et remanet clare 33s. 7d. Inde decima 3s. 4d. - Valor Eccl.

Under the headint, “Livings Discharged”:- Trefgarn R. Ordinario quolibet tertio almo, 8d. Archidiac. quolibet anno,. Thomas Newport, Esq., 1535; Martha Fowler, widow, 1715; James Jones, 1720; Eleanor Jones, widow, 1739;. – Bacon’s Liber Regis.

1896 11 May. A faculty was obtained for the removal of cottages and buildings belonging to the livings of Spittal and Trefgarn.

1415 11 August. Exchange of benefices. Institution of Sir William Carpenter to the church of Johnston on the presentation of the Prior and Convent of the Blessed Mary of Pill and of Sir William Lightfote to the church of Treffgarne on the presentation of Hugh Burgh lord of the manor of Treffgarne. Given at Portchester.

Return to T    Return to Gazatteer


Trefloyne     Penally             Jottings

Near a modern house of that name, close to Penally, are the sparse fragments of a 15c house garrisoned for the king on the outbreak of the civil war. It was taken by assault in 1644 by Major General Laugharne and destroyed, a large number of weapons, cattle and horses were captured.

Return to T    Return to Gazatteer


Trevine        Jotting              (840325)

Palace built by Bishop David Martin (related to Gerald of Wales) had many wells and springs. Site was visited by pilgrims.

Return to T    Return to Gazatteer