W

Walton East, Walton West, Walwyns Castle, Warren, West Tarr, West Williamston, Whitchurch, Whitechurch, Wiston, Wolfscastle.

Return to W    Return to Gazatteer


Walton East

Acc/to The Old Parish Churches of South West Wales - Mike Salter 1994.

Church on ancient foundations but has been completely rebuilt and lacks old features.

There seems little doubt that Walton East is the church described as 'Ecclesia Sancti Petri de Waletuna' in Dungleddy, which Wizo, lord of Wiston, and Walter his son, and Walter the son of the said Walter, granted to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. - Bishop Anselm's Confirmatory Charter. This being so it would indicate that there has either been a change in the dedication, or else that it is erroneously attributed to St. Mary in Bacon's Liber Regis. In 1594 the benefice was described as a Curacy, and in the hands of the Queen as late belonging to the preceptor [of Slebech]. - Owen's Pem.

The only reference to this benefice in the Valor Eccl. is in the list of churches appropriated to the preceptory of Slebeche, in which appears the following entry:-  Ecclesia de Walton xj'i.

Under the heading “Not in Charge”':- Walton East Cur. (St. Mary). James Philipps, Esq. £10 certified value. - Bacon's Liber Regis.

Return to W    Return to Gazatteer


Walton West        (SM865128)

Church     All Saints

Tower is 14c, the rest rebuilt 1854. Has 12c Norman Font and a 10c grave stone.

WALTON WEST All Saints SM865127

The short west tower with an impossibly low doorway to its staircase in a SW turret is 14th century. The font is of c1200. The nave and chancel were also of that period but have been rebuilt above the foundations in about 1854. There is a tiny female effigy. In the Lady Chapel is a rounded 10th century stone with Latin wheel cross, showing Irish influence, found in the Churchyard by gravediggers.

The rectory of Walton West appears to have been in private patronage at al1 events since 1536. It seems to have belonged to Henry Catharne and others at that date, but in 1594 the patrons are said to be the families of Newport, Stepneth [Stepley], Woodford, Kette [Kettill] and Longvill in right of Catharn. – Owen’s Pembroke. These were probably all representatives of Henry Catharne; in fact Stepney, Woodford, and Kettill are no doubt the Alban Stepney, Thomas Woodford, and William Kettill, who married three of the coheiresses of Thomas Catharne, the son of the Henry Catharne in question.

Waltan. - Ecclesia ibidem er collacione Henrici Cathern arrnigeri et aliorum unde David Powle est rector habens ibidem unam mansionem. edt valet comm1mibus annis in fructibus et elaolimentis vij'i. Inde sol' in visitacione ordinaria quolibet tercio anno. Et in visitacione archidiaconi pro sinodalibus et ptocuracionibus quolibet anno V4. iXd. Et remanet clarer £6 13s. 4d. Inde decima 13s. 4d. - Valor Eccl.

Under the heading “Livings Discharged”:- Walto alias Walton West R. Ordinaria quolibet tertio anno, 10d. Atchidiac quolibet anno, 5s. 5d. Henry Cathern and .alii Patr., 1535; Sir Thomas Stepney, Bart., 1719, 1739, 1763, Clear yearly value, £10. King's Books, £6 13s. 4d. - Bacon's Liber Regis.

Return to W    Return to Gazatteer


Walwyns Castle

St. James         (SM873112)

The tower top has been rebuilt with continuous corbelled courses and the nave and chancel have been rebuilt on the old foundations.

The rectory of Walwyn’s castle was in 1594 appendant to the manor of that name. Owen’s Pem.

The barony or lordship of Walwyn’s castle was held by several important personages including the Earls of Pembroke, Guy de Brian, in 1350, James, Earl of Wiltshire, and Sir William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke, in 1483. - Pat. Rolls.

By 1519 the lordship or manor of Walwyn’s castle, with the advowson of the church there had become the property of Sir Owen Perrot, of Eastington, in the parish of Rhoserowther, who, on 15 Sept., in that year, settled the advowson and other property on himself and his heir. -  P.M. of Owen Perrot, Imp Hen. VIII.

Described as Ecclesia de Castro Walwani, this church was in 1291 assessed at £9 6s. 5d. for tenths to the king, the sum payable being 18s. 8d. - Taxatio.

Pembrokeshire Parsons.

collacione Johannis Parrett vel aliter ad collacionem regiam racione minoris etatis ejusdem Johannis unde Doctor Lorgan est. rector habens ibidem unam mansionem et terras. Et valet in fructibus et emolimentis hoc anno et communibus annis viij'i. Inde sol' in visitacione ordinaria quolibet tercio armo xjjd Et in visitacione archidiaconi quolibet anno pro sinodalibus et procuracionibus vs ixd. Et remanet clare £7 13s. 3d. Inde decima 15s 4d. Valor Eccl.

Under the heading “Livings remaining in Charge”:- Castlewalwyn (Castell Gwalchmai) R. (St. James). Ordinario quolibet tertio anno, 1s. Archidiac. quolibet armo, 5S. 8d. The Prince of Wales; John Parrett, 1535. King's Books, £7 13s. 4d., £80. Yearly tenths, 15s. 4d. - Bacon's Liber Regis.

The rectories of Walwyn's Castle and Robeston West were united under an Order in Council on 20 March 1877.

Return to W    Return to Gazatteer


Warren

St Mary   Parish of Castlemartin.

Place Names of Pembrokeshire by B. G. Charles.

Warren

[Name may well have been of Welsh origin  but Anglicised].

Woveran   1273, 1293, 1325 [Unpublished deeds in PRO]

Woueran   1326  [Black Book of St David's, ed J. W. Willis Bund.

Cymmrodorion Record Series 5, London 1902]

Woran c1602 [George Owen, Description of Pembrokeshire ii 295,

Woram (tempore) HY 8 [R. Fenton Historical Tour through Pembrokeshire 241, 1513 [Episcopal Registers of St David's]

1535 [Valor Ecclesiasticus], 1603 [George Owen, Description of Pembrokeshire i.107, ii 292].

Waram (Waran) c 1566 [Reports on Manuscripts in the Welsh Language 1917].

Woraine 1539 [Calendar of Public Records relating to Pembrokeshire iii 73 H. Owen].

Warren 1684 [NLW MS 1390].

Overham 1487 & 1594 [Episcopal Registers of St David's].

Overam 1490 [Episcopal Registers of St David's].

Oram 1503 [Episcopal Registers of St David's].

Acc/to Wade - South Wales.

Warren: A small parish in Pembrokeshire 5 miles SW of Pembroke. Its Church has a tall tower constituting a prominent landmark, but architecturally uninteresting though it preserves a piscina in the S Chapel and an early font. From Warren a road runs south to the coast where the cliff scenery is exceptionally fine. A cliff camp on a promontory encloses a circular chasm (entered at the bottom by the waves through an arch in the face of the cliffs) which is called "The Devil's Punchbowl" and forms a sea cauldron. Off the coast rise two isolated rocks named the Stacks which are the breeding grounds for puffins, guillemots, razor bills and other sea birds. They assemble in thousands at the beginning of May and depart at the end of July. These rocks are really in the parish of Castlemartin.

Acc/to Lewis - A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1834.

Waren: A parish in the hundred of Castlemartin  County of Pembroke 5 miles SW of Pembroke containing 169 inhabitants.

This parish, which is situated in the south western part of the county is of considerable extent reaching to the coast of the Bristol Channel by which is bounded on the South and South West. It includes the small village of Lenny, on the western coast from which a point of land, projecting into the sea derives its name of Lenny head. The living is a discharged vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of St David's, rated in the King's books at £4 8s 11/2d., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £200 Parliamentary Grant and in the patronage of the Bishop of St David's. The church dedicated to St Mary is an ancient building with a square tower surmounted by a spire of stone forming a conspicuous object on this part the coast. In the Churchyard is the pedestal of an ancient cross, in which is inserted the head of one of the circular kind. According to tradition, there was an ancient religious house on a farm called Warren; but there are no remains of it, and the only records of its existence are the names of several places in the immediate neighbourhood, which would appear to have been derived from such an establishment. Vestiges of an ancient fortification of a circular form and still in good state of preservation may be seen in a field between this place and the parish church of St Twinnel; it was defended by a triple rampart, having an entrance on the west side, an appears to have been a place of great strength the area within the inner rampart, which is the most entire is about one acre in extent. It appears to have formed a link in a chain of fortifications by which the South West coast were protected from the piratical incursions of the Saxons and the Danes. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £123 19s.

Pre Norman:

Phillips suggests that Laws may have found an early Christian burial site on the southern coast not far from Warren (P58) Laws p57.  

Edward Laws did excavate what he believed was a large early Christian Cemetery not very far away from the Church with over 200 burials and one special burial which was carefully  covered by a large stone slab and among the items found in the grave was a piece of limestone with a celtic cross cut in it. One suggestion was that the cemetery dated to the 2nd Century AD.

He also found what the local labourers described as the ruins of a chapel standing east and west 16ft by 12ft which it was believed had an east window and a stoup 14in by 8in of red sandstone was also found.

Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments records:

Brownslade Tumulus:

This is a much-disturbed sepulchral mound standing in a field called Church-ways belonging to the farm of Brownslade. It was partially excavated in 1880, when remains of burials of men, women and children where discovered on the south-eastern side, the bodies "packed in tiers" of at least three deep. With the remains were found a piece of fine bronze which might have been an ear-ring, a finger-ring, and a small brass ring with a rude pattern of spots punched on it and also a small stoup, which is now fixed in the wall of Flimston Chapel. Mixed with the human remains were animal bones, a few limpet shells, and a flint flake. A little to the north of this find was disinterred a human skeleton, placed on a roughly-prepared clay surface and surrounded by rough dry masonry; with the body was a horse's nipper, some animal bones and sea shells. In the course of the re-interment of the human remains in the centre of the mound, a cist burial was discovered about 3feet below the surface; the bones were much decayed. In the cist there were some animal bones, a fragment of wheel-turned pottery, a piece of Chert stone bored for use as a hammer, and a block of red sandstone marked with V shaped lines. In the mound, but perhaps not connected with any of the burials was a flat piece of limestone bearing a roughly incised cross within a circle.

Laws - Little England beyond Wales, 57-9, ill.).

Brownslade Tumulus Finds:

(a) Wheel-turned pottery.

(b) A piece of fine bronze, possibly the remains of a finger ring.

(c) A small brass ring.

(d) A socketed pivot-stone, probably that of the door of the closely adjacent ruined chapel; also a roughly hewn stoup since fixed in Flimston Chapel.

(e) A piece of chert about the size of half a brick, with a deep hollow on each side - possibly a cresset stone from the chapel.

(f) A block of red sandstone with indeterminate markings.

(g) A flat piece of limestone with roughly inscribed cross within a circle.

With the exception of the stoup all the above are in Tenby Museum.

Churchways Chapel:

This little edifice stood immediately north of the Brownslade tumulus on one of two fields called Upper and Lower Church Hill (Tithe Schedule, No 376-7). The remains of foundations are now practically buried beneath the sand. When opened up in 1880 the chapel was found to be "very tiny, being only 16 feet by 12 feet and pitched with water-worn stones". (Laws p57).

St Mary Church   Parish of Castlemartin.

Restored in 1855 altering its appearance but barrel vaulting in nave and south transept suggests 13c. It has a tower with octagonal steeple.

Church closed - restored - and reopened 1988 by the German Army bases at Castlemartin.

The church has an unusual plan. The chancel has a north wall in line with the three bay arcade between a wider nave and a north aide with a squint. Tiny chapels open off the SW corner of the chancel and SE corner of the nave, and a small gabled tower stands north of the aisle. The whole south side was rebuilt in 1870, in the porch is a tiny figure of a civilian under a canopy. There is a scalloped Late Norman font.

The lofty west tower has lancet belfry windows. The nave, south porch, and south transept are vaulted. They are 13th century but the windows have been renewed. The chancel was rebuilt in 1855. The porch has corbels for the beams of an upper floor.

There appears to be no very early mention of this church, which seems to have always been in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Davids as record show that the Warren estate was held by the Bishops from before 1293.

Woram. - Vicaria ibidem ex collacione dicti episcopi [Meneven'] unde Johannes Howell est vicarius. lilt valet per annum iiijli. x8. Inde sol' in sinodalibus et procuracionibus quolibet anno, ijs. Et remanet dare £4 8s. Inde decima 8s. 5d. - Valor Eccl.

Under the heading “Livings Discharged”:- Warren alias Woran V. (St. Mary). Svn. and Prox. quolibet anno, 2s. Bishop of St. Davids, Impr. and Patr. Clear yearly value £10. King's Books, £4 8s. 11/2d. - Bacon's Liber Regis.

On 20 June, 1638, this living, together with the parsonage and church of Lamphey with the glebeland, was leased by the Bishop to Thomas Mayarld, gent., for 21 years, at the annual rent of £26 13s. 4d.

On 26 Dec., 1851, the vicarages of Warren and Twinnells were united under an Order in Council.

1770 November 30.

Abr[aha]m Leach to the Rev. Mr Archdeacon [george] Holcombe at  Pulcroghan a letter reporting the the poor condition of one of the aisles of  the church. A. Leach's father was tenant to his lordship for the tithes of Warren and had care of the repairs of the chancel in consequence of it.

Lucas MS 1062.

Registers Birth Deaths and Marriages in NLW start 1813.

Bishop's Transcripts NLW start 1799.

………………………..

Church very similar in basic outline to many others in the area; oldest of which is probably St Daniel's.  Was the original tower added at the same time?  One of a line of churches on the high ground running down the centre of the peninsular.

(See Commission. Ent  on Ancient Monuments   parts 13c).

Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire.

Parish of Warren:

The Parish Church   Dedicated to St Mary

The building consists of chancel (33ft by 16ft) nave (44ft by 18 1/2ft), South Transept  (15 3/4ft by11ft) tower at west end with short spire  (19ft by 14ft) and south porch. The structure was restored in 1855 when the windows were renewed and the chancel rebuilt (Arch. Camb. 1856 III ii 331). The chancel arch and that to the south aisle are modern. The nave, south transept, porch and ground stage of the tower have plain barrel vaults of 13c date. In the south east angle of the south transept is a plain aumbry; in the east wall are traces of a blocked window with a pointed arch. Many corbels are still in situ, notably those of the rood screen on the west face of the chancel arch. The tower has a pronounced batter, and is crowned with a corbel table and parapet. The spire has been rebuilt in stone in succession to a former wooden one which had become unsafe. The font basin (26 inches square externally and 21 ½ inches internally) is perfectly plain, and bears marks of having had a hinged cover. It stands on a circular shaft and square base.

Churchyard Cross: In the churchyard is a restored cross, the shaft and head in one piece; it stands upon a base of three steps. Visited 24th May 1922.

The area has been inhabited from early times as the name Longstone (owned partly by Sir Hugh Owen and partly by John Campbell and tenanted by Roger Hitching in 1791) is believed to have contained the site of an old burial mound.

Medieval Records relating to the Diocese of St David's - Francis Jones.

1291: The Church does not appear in the Taxatio of Pope Nicholas.

Warren P14

Warren was part of the Prebend of Brawdy in Dewsland in 1293 and was appropriated to the Bishop's table prior to episcopate of Thomas Beck.(Bishop from 1280 to 1293) West Wales Historical records V 165 6.

Inventory of the Goods of the Bishop of St David’s 1293 PRO KR, Inventories E145/1/48.

Inventory of the goods of the lord Thomas, (Beck) Bishop of St David's, made in the manors underwritten after his death in the presence of the lord Ralph de Broughton keeper of the said Bishopric, the see being vacant, and the lord King's deputies William de Bruer and John de Forneis, by oath of the faithful subjects of the king, sworn on Monday next after the Ascension of Our Lord, 21 Edward I, 1293.

Woueran pars p'bende de Breudy  (Warren Pembs).

There is there 1 stack of wheat estimated at 35 cribs worth £6. 2. 6d at 3s 6d per crib. 10 cribs of beans and peas worth 30s at 3s per crib. 20 cribs of barley worth 55s at 2s 9d per crib. 8 cribs of oats worth 36s at 4s 6d per crib.

Total £12 3s 6d

Extract from the Black Book of St David's 1326.

Woueran.

Profits

Master John the Chaplain, Gilbert Lawrence, and John Bole, the jurors there on their oaths present that

the Lord has a grange there and a plot of land as a haggard, and they are worth yearly to let                               12d

They also present that there is a chapel there annexed to the prebend of the Lord Bishop and it is worth yearly                £20

                                    Total                £20 0s 12d

Taxpayers

Item, they say that John the Chaplain of the parish there holds a plot, building and curtilage, with 6 1/2 acres of land, as they compute the aforesaid plot which was formerly the property of Master Gilbert the chaplain, and he pays yearly in equal portions,

at Easter and Michaelmas,                                                      7s 6d

Item, Gilbert Lawrence holds a plot with curtilage,

and pays yearly at the same times                                           12d

Item, John Cole holds a plot, buildings and curtilage with 2 1/2 acres, and 6 virgates of land, and pays yearly at Easter    21 1/2d

and at Michaelmas                                                                  21 3/4d

Item, Adam Ricarfd holds a plot with curtilage, 3 stangs and 28 virgates of land and pays yearly at Easter                        11 1/2d

and at Michaelmas                                                                  11 1/4d

                        Total Acres, 10 and 4 virgates

                        Total rents in money,                                      14s

Services

And all the aforesaid ought in the autumn to stack the sheaves of corn in the Lord's field  for a day, the Lord finding food, and the value of each service is 1d. And they give for a heriot the best beast; and if they have no beast they give that amount of a year's rent, and they do service in war time as the tenants of Lantefey. And there is, as aforesaid at Lantefey a common fine for simple breach, and they do suit of Court generally, and also where there is any difficult of doubtful business, as the tenants of Lantefey, of the same tenure. And if any of them die suddenly or without will, all his goods are forfeited to the Lord; and after their death the Lord is able to give or to sell them to whoever he wishes at his pleasure. Yet they present that the custom formerly was that the nearest in blood should be preferred to the others, by special favour of the Lord. And they ought to keep the prisoners, and escort them to Lantefey.

A section under Lamphey in The Black Book of St David's reads:-

Item William Harald holds 2 carucates of land at Woveran and pays in every third year on the Kalends of May 2s. or 2 sheep at the option of the Lord and does suit of Court at Lawhaden from 15 days to 15 days.

The Episcopal Register of St Davids 13971518.

1487 May 7. John Coke (chaplain) collated to the perpetual vicarage of the parish church of the Blessed Mary Overham (Warren) vacant.

1490 Oct 21. John Makeham (chaplain) collated to the perpetual vicarage of Overham (Warren) and instituted in the same vacant by the resignation of John Coke.

1494 Mar 21. Maurice ap Griffiths (chaplain) collated to the perpetual vicarage of the parish church of Overham (Warren) and instituted him vicar of that church vacant by the death of Sir John last incumbent there and in the bishop's collation in full right.

1494 Jul 1. Richard Sherwood (chaplain) collated to the perpetual vicarage of the parish church of Overham (Warren) and instituted him vicar of that church vacant by the resignation of Sir Maurice last vicar there and in the bishop's collation in full right.

1502 3 Mar 16. Thomas ap Atha collated to the perpetual vicarage of Oram vacant by the death of Sir Richard Shyrwode.

1513. Four tenths to be paid to the King.

Warren listed as among those churches exempted. The goods, church possessions and benefices, in the diocese of St David's which have been diminished, impoverished, and destroyed by wars, fires, ruins, inundations of rivers, and other misfortunes and chances deservedly to be excused from payment of the said four tenths.

………………………..

1265 10 May Hereford.

Whereas John de Warenna and William de Valencia with armed men to the number of about a hundred and twenty men as well horse as foot, have now landed in the parts of Pembroke and keep themselves there, and many adversaries of the king and the realm from beyond seas, if they knew of their landing which has been made without the king's knowledge and will, as their leaving the realm was made peacefully and without impediment, would prepare to enter the realm with more will and spirit, to disturb the peace, or to give aid to the said John and William if they proposed to grieve to the realm; the king has commanded the barons and bailiffs of the ports to keep their shore manfully and strongly against the invasion of anyone; and whereas the king has appointed  and aid to the said Brian, in the keeping of the peace and especially in the defence of the maritime parts there; and if any are disobedient or remiss in executing the kings mandates, the king will betake him forthwith to their persons and goods, notwithstanding any liberty, as against those who care not whether the kings and realm be given over to confusion and disherison.

Mandate to the said Brian to be keeper of the peace of the counties accordingly; and the king has commanded the sheriff to be of aid and counsel to him. And as false rumours are being spread of the king, whereby trouble may be again stirred in the realm, the king has written to the said sheriff in the form of these presents, and if the sheriff is lax, the said Brian is to urge him to be diligent for the love of the king and the common utility of the realm.

Patent Roll, 49 Henry III, m. 16 (Cal., pp423 4).

.....................................................

1326. William Harold of Haroldstone held Warren of the Bishop. He was the William Harold of Haverford who did homage to the King in 1301 and also is recorded as a witness to a grant of land at Llawhadden to the chapter of St David's. His grandaughter and heiress Alice married Peter Perot of  Jestington around 1349.  

George Owen -  Pembrokeshire Families. p64.

1534. William Waren or Warren was the last prior of Pembroke.

(MS Col Vol xxvii fol 122b).

1535. First actual record of the Church in the Valor Ecclesiasticus of Henry VIII.

when the  value is recorded as £4 8s and the Vicar was John Howell.

Bacon's Liber Regis gives the clear yearly value as £10 and King's books value as £4  8s 1/2d.

Extent of the Episcopal Possessions of St David's.

20th July 1st year of the reign of Henry VIII.

"Item. feodum ejusdem Jacobi et Thomae: Custod: Park: et Warren, de Lanfey, ut de feodo consueto  £3 0s 0d.

Bishop Barlow's Alienation of Lanfey from the see of St David's included de Woram.

All of which he granted to Henry VIII his heirs and successors in fee.

Pembrokeshire Antiquities p36.

Henry VIII in the 38th year of his reign grants the same to Richard Devereaux, esq., and his heirs for ever by knights service, paying annually £3 13s 9d by writ of privy seal.

1606. George Owen records in the Taylor's Cussion the parish of Warren as having 3 freeholders and 14 householders. [I believe  his handwriting is very difficult to understand.] The Warren family that he records though are of Trewern north Pembrokeshire.

1638 June 20th?

1650.  An inquisition on Church lands, impropriations, preaching and related subjects    (Lambeth MS 915), record that the minister of Warren was not approved of by the Commission and was ejected and the profits sequestered. Was he replaced ? See list of vicars.

1662 April. Act of Uniformity required all ministers to give their assent to the rites and liturgy of the Church. 130 Puritain ministers left their livings many being replaced with those they had ejected 12 years before.

[The History of Wales - J. Graham Jones].

1710. Erasmus Saunders records that the living of Warren was valued at £10 per year (one of the poorest in the area). St Twinnels was valued at £24 and Castlemartin £20. He says that there being several churches where we are but rarely, if at all, to meet with Preaching, Catechising or Administering of the Holy Communion. In others the Service of the prayers is but partly Read, and that perhaps but once a month, or perhaps once in a quarter of a year; not is it indeed reasonable to expect that they would be better served while Stipends allow'd for the service of them are so small that a poor Curate must sometimes submit to serve three or four Churches for £10 or £12 a year and that perhaps when they are almost as many miles from each other.

1762 October 16th.

Letter from Bishop Samual Squire of St David's to Mr Holcombe [his newly appointed Agent] re estates belonging to the Diocese of St David's about which "parts of the lands I have reason to believe, have from time to time, been transferred by fraudulent leasees to other owners without the bishops or their agents knowing anything of the matter".

One of the Estates mentioned was that of Warren Rectory leases to Mr Bar. Blaine in 1751.

Church in Wales MS SD/LET/1827.

1770 November 30. Abr[aha]m Leach to the Rev. Mr Archdeacon [George] Holcombe at Pulcroghan:

Some little time ago I took the liberty of mentioning to you an inconvenience which attended Warren Church and Chancel from a vacant aisle adjoining the body of the Church. On a fair survey I find that it's not made the least use of by the parishioners and contributes greatly to make the church very damp, the water in rainy seasons running in streams into the church through the roof and gutter though its vaulted, the parishioners not attending to the repairs as its not made use of. I made a proposal to the parishioners that if they would give me leave I would pull down the aisle and fill up the arch, which would make the church more dry and comfortable. They all consented but one, whose only reason is that some of his wife's family were buried there some years past. As the church is so large and burying ground enough in it for that family, I think his objection very trifling. I therefore beg the favour of you that you would be pleased to represent the matter to the Bishop and beg his indulgence to take down the aisle. You will please to mention to the Bishop that my father is tenant to his lordship for the tithes of Warren and has the care of the repairs of the chancel in him in consequence of it. (Lucas MS 1062).

1786 Land Tax returns: Henry Leach paid £4 on the Great Tithe of Warren; he died the next year age 87. [Pembrokeshire Historian no7 page 38 has much information on Leach's family and yeoman stock in the Castlemartin area]. Henry made his fortune as a merchant in Pembroke then invested in property; acquired Corston and also had investments in mining. It was Henry's son Abraham who wrote the letter above and who took over his fathers business interests and increased the family fortune substantially.

1846 State of Education in Wales p393.

Dec. 20th.

St Twinnells: A church Sunday School is held in the vicarage of this parish (which is served by the same clergyman as St Nicholas Monkton), and in the room of the agricultural school at Warren, alternately.

Dec 18th.

Parish of Warren: The Earl of Cawder's Agricultural School. Deep snow and few children present. Schoolroom fitted with a gallery of desks and well supplied with apparatus. About to be enlarged from 24ft to 40ft in length with new gallery and wooden instead of concrete floor. Course of instruction comprehensive but did not include English History.  Schoolroom, master's dwelling and some farm buildings included in the same range. Master occupies buildings rent-free + 5 acres of land at an annual rent of £1 per acre on which he has liberty to employ the scholars from 11am to midday and from 3.30pm to 4.30pm during which time a needlemistress instructs the girls. She is remunerated by the profit of their work. Pupils pay 1d per week books provided. Day school intended to be self-supporting. So far as the master receives any direct salary it is as master of the Sunday school.

1851.

Census of religious buildings  1851

Parish Pop   124   63m 61f

Endowed; land (bounty)  £31; tithe £50,  glebe £12, permanent endowment £5; fees 10s.

Space: free 14 exclusive of the chancel where a few benches are occasionally placed.   Average Congregation morning 40 -50 +10 -15 scholars,  afternoon 40 - 50 + 10 -15 scholars.

Remarks: Warren is a small Parish consisting of three farms only with a few small cottages tenanted by poor labourers and families who are mostly Dissenters or Independents whose place of worship is situated in a neighbouring Parish although they occasionally attend Church.

Thomas Dalton   Vicar.

..........

Restored in 1855 altering its appearance.

1855, 6, 7. Restored at cost of Lord Cawder by David Brandon  architect London.  James Rogers of Tenby contractor cost £629 + £82 for Minton Tiles.

(Carmarthen PRO   Cawder Box 223 & 140).

Letter from David Brandon to Lord Cawder  "When I examined the stonework of the spire,  I found it much more decayed than anticipated. All the external face had crumbled,  particularly on the Southwest side due to the vegetation covering it. It lets water through into the Church. It cannot be repaired and must either be rebuilt or cased in Forest of Dean stone 5 to 6 inches thick".

(Letter CRO Cawder Box 140).

[not clear which optioned followed,  but it was "not quite finished" in another letter of 30 Dec 1857.

** work in the church included new windows, new floor, new pews, new pulpit and reading desk; all designed by Brandon **

1867. Stained glass window to Major (died 22 April 1864 aged 69) and Mrs Leach (died 1861) of Corston by Hearman of London [a good firm] (Cambrian 29 March 1867).

[This may be the east window, the subject shown was "Jesus rising from the tomb" however see 1922]. Their eldest son Henry inherited.

(NLW St David's Faculty paper 672).

1894. Stained glass window put up to Archdeacon Edwards (St David's Archdeaconary Magazine  Dec 1894).

1905.  Henry Leach of Corston buried at Warren [died 20 June] [see Pembroke Historian  vol7 p 50].

1922. His widow died March 1922 aged 86.

1922 the stained glass window in the TRANSEPT "erected 60 years ago by General Leach?" was removed by the family and another one substituted in its place. The old one was "never satisfactory to the family" and was destroyed.

1924.  Stained glass window put up to Major General Leach who died in Bath 7 Aug 1923 aged 86 and to Henry Ince of Trecwn by Lady Leach [Ince was her uncle] 'This is the 3rd Leach window in the Church".

(Pembs Telegraph 25 Aug 1924).

1930's Memorial to General Leach - stone plaque on wall may be by Eric Gill,  sculptor. Brigadier General Sir Edmund Burleigh Leach CB CMG CVO died without issue 16th Aug 1936 ending the Leach association with Corston.

1970's. Closed.

In 1986 the Warren Church Trust was formed as it was realised that there was a need for a place of worship for the many troops who visited the Castlemartin R.A.C. Range. The British and German Forces based at the Castlemartin R.A.C. Range, part of the parish, arranged the funding of the complete restoration which included a new roof. The architects being Michell & Holden, Pembroke.

Unfortunately on the 25th January 1990, during a hurricane with winds gusting up to 112 mph, the recently restored roof was blown off, and had to be replaced.

From article by Rev. Hill in Link Up:

Warren Church has a much travelled organ. Built in 1842, it is reputed to have originally belonged to Felix Mendelssohn (1809 - 1857). It was then moved to the church at Sibton Suffolk. In 1867 it was bought by F. & E. Mirehouse for St Mary's Church Angle. 20 years later it was moved from Angle to St Michaell's Castlemartin where it remained until 1988.The organ underwent a major restoration in 1916, paid for by Cecil Elinor Lambton as a memorial to her grandmother, Mary Levett, the daughter of John Mirehouse of Angle and Brownslade.

By 1988 it was again in need of restoration, and by a happy inspiration was included in the restoration work at Warren.

Lange               William           1543  Waran             PRO223/423      Churchwarden

ap John             John                1543  Waran             PRO223/423      Churchwarden

Hearth Tax 1670.

Bedford             William                     1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Bennet              Mary                          1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearths p

Demont              John                          1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Gough               Thomas                      1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h5

Gough               Thomas                      1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Gough               Reese                         1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Gough               William                      1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h2

Hire                Francis                          1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearths p

Hoode               Richard                     1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Hoode               Elizabeth                    1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearths p

Hughes              Boulton                     1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Llewhelin           Rice                          1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearths p

Meredith            George                      1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Nicholas            Henry                        1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Phillip             Morrice                        1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearths p

Phillips            Tabitha                        1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Phillp              Paull                             1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Philp               John                             1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h2

Proute              James                          1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Rowe                Joseph                        1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Russen              John                           1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h2

Snapp               Anne                          1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearths p

Tasker              William                       1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearths p

Tasker              William                       1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h3

Thomas              Thomas                     1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearths p

Thomas              Richard                     1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Thomas              William                     1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearths p

Tucker              Rowland                    1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h1

Whitto              George                       1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearths p

Whittoe             John                           1670  Warren             Pembrokeshire hearth h2

 

Clergy

Howell              John                           1535 6                         Warren   vicar    

Loveling            William                     1613                            Warren   vicar    

Loveling            Mathias                     1629  Jul 4                   Warren   vicar    

Also vicar of Castlemartin was the son of the previous vicar and matriculated at Jesus College Oxford on 20th June 1623 age 20. The administration of the effects of "Mathew" Loveling, dated 12 Dec 1671 describes him as "clerk of the parish of Castlemartin". Described as Matthew Llewelling, he is said to have been turned out of this benefice for insufficiency by the Commissioners for Propogation.

Loveling            William                     1672  Sep 23               Warren   vicar    

Also vicar of Castlemartin his will was proved at Carmarthen on 21st Jan 1712.

Loveling            Thomas                     1718  Mar 10               Warren   vicar    

Also vicar of Castlemartin. He was the son of William Loveling of Castlemartin, clerk, and matriculated at Lincoln College Oxford on 17 Dec 1703 age 19.

From Fenton Tours Page 407 published 1810.

(Castlemartin)   "In the Churchyard a neat gravestone commemorates an old lady of the name of Lovelyn, widow of a former rector, who died at the very advanced age of 104. She was mother to Lovelyn, of Trinity College Oxford, who published a book of poems, elegant specimens of classical latinity, but more honourable to his muse than his morals." (Unfortunately I have been unable to obtain a copy so I cannot comment. Fenton completely missed Warren on his journeying through South Pembrokeshire).

Rees                John                            1760 Apr 26    Warren  vicar    

Lloyd               Thomas                       1765  Aug 3    Warren  vicar    

Jones               John                            1770  Apr 21   Warren  vicar    

Dalton              Thomas                       1820  Feb 8     Warren  vicar     also held Angle

parish of Warren and St Twinnells united under an order in council 26th Dec 1851

Nares               Owen Alexander        1859  Apr 15   Warren  vicar    

Reed                William                       1866 Mar 7      Warren  vicar    

Edmondes       Charles Gresford        1882  Jul 11     Warren  vicar    

Matthews        William                        1888  Dec 1     Warren  vicar    

Jones               Daniel                          1903  Jul 29     Warren  vicar    

Gabriel            Gwilym Philip             1907  Nov 18  Warren  vicar    

Baine               Bar                 1762 Oct 16  Warren rectory

Church in Wales MS SD\LET\1827.

Land Tax 1791.

Warren                                                Campbell                     John (owner)

Warren                                                Philps                          Wm (tenant)

Warren Addligutter                            Campbell                      John (owner)

Warren Addligutter                            Llewhelling                 Philip (tenant)

Warren Addligutter                            Owen                          Sir Hugh  (owner)

Warren Glebe & Vicarage                  Jones                            Rev Mr (owner)

Warren Glebe and Vicarage               Price                             Richard (tenant)

Warren Gospool                                  Campbell                     John (owner)

Warren Gospool                                  Edwards                      James (tenant)

Warren Gospool                                  Owen                          Sir Hugh  (owner)

Warren Great Tythe                            Leach                          Mr (owner)

Warren Hermigate Field                     Campbell                     John (owner)

Warren Hermigate Field                     Young                         Jonathan (tenant)

Warren Longstone                              Campbell                     John (owner)

Warren Longstone                              Hitching                      Roger (tenant)

Warren Longstone                              Owen                          Sir Hugh  (owner)

Warren Merrion Court                        Campbell                     John (owner)

Warren Merrion Court                         Owen                          Sir Hugh  (owner)

Warren Merrion Court                        Philps                          Thomas (tenant)

Warren Merrion and North Hill         Campbell                      John (owner)

Warren Merrion and North Hill         Thomas                         James (tenant)

Warren Southrow Field                      Campbell                     John (owner)

Warren Southrow Field                      Gough                         Roger (tenant)

Warren Town End                              Philps                          Thos (tenant)

Warren Towns End                             Hay                           Mr (owner)

Warren Towns end                              Campbell                     John (owner)

Warren Towns end                              Hitching                      Roger (tenant)

Warren Towns end                              Owen                          Sir Hugh  (owner)

Warren Two Fields                             Cod                           John (tenant)

Warren and Merrion                            Campbell                     John (owner)

Warren and Merrion                            Carrow                        Mr (tenant)

Warren two Fields                              Campbell                     John (owner)

Return to W    Return to Gazatteer


West Tarr

Miniature Tower House near St Florence equipped with fireplaces and chimneys  upper floor supported by stone barrel vaulted undercroft.

Return to W    Return to Gazatteer


West Williamston        (035058)

West Williamston. One of the great limestone quarrying centres of the past century. Look at the O.S. 1:50,000 map to obtain a vivid impression of the extent of the workings and of the "locks'' used by barges to load up with limestone blocks and rubble. At the turn of the century the quarries employed 150 men, and limestone from here was used for the building of Pembroke Dockyard. Now the village has declined greatly having lost its church, its pubs and its quarrymen. There is an Oiled Bird Centre in one of the farm buildings, managed by members of the West Wales Naturalists' Trust.  

Return to W    Return to Gazatteer


Whitchurch in Dewisland     Jottings

The vicarage of Whitchurch appears to have belonged to the chapter of St. David’s Cathedral as far back, at all events, as the year 1402, and has remained in the patronage of the chapter down to the present date.

Described as Ecclesia Albi Monasterii, this church was in 1291 assessed at £6 13s 4d. for tenths for the King, the sum payable being 13s. 4d. - Taxatio.

Whitechurche. - Vicaria ibidem cujus dorninus Arnoldus Robyn est vicarius perpetues ad collacionem canonicorum ecclesie cathedralis Menesrensis speetan' valet communi-bus annis in decimis garbarurn caseorum lane agnel-lorum feni mellis oblacion' ter in anno et aliis provencon' ibidem ut de tercia parte omnium emolimentorum ejusdem ecclesie sive vicarie vjli inde sol/ in procuracione ordinario loci quolibet tercio anno in visitacione ordinaria iiijS vjd. Et remanet clare 115S. 6d.Inde decima 11s. 6d. - Valor Eccl.

Under the heading “Livings Discharged”:- Whit-church Eglwyswen V. (St. David). Prox. quolibet tertio anno, 4s. 6d. Val. per ann. in decim. garb. foen. cas. lan. agn.@ &c. Chanter and Chapter of St. Davids Patr. The Chapter and vicars Choral Impr. Clear yearly value £20. King's Books, £5 15s. 6d. - Bacon's Liber Regis.

There is very little on record about the church. It appears from a report of the case of Meyler v. Bright which was tried at Hereford in 1829, that the roof of the church had some years previously fallen in, and had also been repaired before that date, and that a stone seat ran round the sides of the aisles. - Felix Farley's Bristol Journal for 29 Aug., 1829.

The rectorial tithes of Whitchurch have from the year 1711 been included in the lease of the St. David’s tithes. The vicarage of Whitchurch was united to the rectory of St. Elvis by an Order in Council dated 15 Jan., 1842.

Presentations to the vicarage of Whitchurch were made by the precentor and chapter of St. David’s Cathedral.

Return to W    Return to Gazatteer


Whitechurch         Jottings        (152364)

Church         St Michael

Acc/to The Old Parish Churches of South West Wales - Mike Salter 1994.

Church on ancient foundations but has been completely rebuilt 1872 and lack old features.

This rectory up to 1594 was appendant to the barony of Kemes, with alternate presentations thereto by the lord of Kemes and the freeholders of that parish (Owen's Pem.), and the patronage is now vested in the Lord of Kemes.

Under the name Ecclesia Alba, this church was assessed in 1291 at £5 6s. 8d. - Taxatio.

Ecclesia Alba. - Ecclesia ibidem ex presentacione di-versorum patronorum ibidem David Howell elericus est rector valet communibus annis £6. Inde decima, 12S. - Valor Eccl.

Under the heading “Livings Discharged”:- Alba alias Whitchurch (Eglwys Wen) (St. Michael). William Lloyd, 13sq., 1714; Thomas Lloyd, Esq., and Anne his wife, 1759, 1763. Clear yearly value £30. King's Books, £6. - Bacon's Liber Regis.

Return to W    Return to Gazatteer


Wiston                      (SN 023180)

Weston. Manorial settlement founded by Wizo the Fleming early in the twelfth century. There was once a castle here with a motte crowned by a shell keep, but the whole castle site is now derelict. Shell keeps are rare in West Wales. Built between 1100 and 1130 by Wizo captured by the Welsh in 1147 and again in 1193 and destroyed by Llewelyn in 1220 site then abandoned in favour of Picton. Opposite the castle site is a typical Little England church, extensively restored in 1864. On nearby Colby Moor, in the year 1645, Royalist Forces were routed by the Parliamentarians under Col. Rowland Laugharne.

Castle and Church first documented in the period 1115 - 47 but Wizo died before 1130.

Weekly market discontinued by George Owen's time but the yearly fair was still held.

1710. Mayor and burgesses petitioned Parliament emphasising that their town was an ancient borough.

WISTON St Mary.

The nave is 13th century but has Victorian windows. The chancel arch and blocked south doorway are pointed but the north doorway is round headed. The long chancel with roughcast walls may be later. The west tower is 14th century. The vaulted north porch with an ogival outer arch and a basin on each side is early 13th century.

Described as 'Ecclesia Sanctse Atari e de Castro Wiz,' this church was granted by Wizo, lord of Wiston, his son Walter, and Walter the son of the said Walter, to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. - Anselm's Confirm. Charter.

On the dissolution of the preceptory of Slebech, the advowson came into the hands of the Crown, and subsequently it appears to have been acquired by the Wogans of Wiston.

About the time of the Restoration, a belief seems to have existed that the advowson was owned by Thomas Wogan of Wiston, the Regicide, as a warrant was issued on 15 Sept., 1662, for a grant to the bishops of London and Winchester, Sir Robert Hyde and Dr. William Thomas, of the rectory, tithes, &c., of Wiston, co. Pembroke, 'lately belonging to Thomas Wogan, attainted of high treason, in trust for the maintenance of a minister there, if requisite, or of ministers in and about London or elsewhere.' - State Papers. Presumably this grant was never proceeded with, as the same records state that in May 1663 a grant was made to Col. Robert Werden and Charles Parker, of the estate, manor, and rectory of Wiston, and barony of Dungleddy, co. Pembroke, forfeited by the attainder of Thomas Wogan. If Thomas Wogan did own the property it seems most probable that the latter grant took effect, and that the purchase by Werden and Parker was made either on behalf of the Wogan family or else that the Wogans acquired the interest of the grantees therein.

It seems however much more likely that Thomas Wogan did not own either the Wiston estate or the advowson of the church, because although Thomas Wogan was evidently alive in 1664 - a proclamation having been issued on 27 July in that year (State Papers) for his apprehension, he, having with others escaped from the Tower of London - we find that his nephew Henry Wogan by his will dated 7 Feb., 1662, and proved in London on 9 Feb., 1662, devised all his lands in Wiston, with all rents and tithes belonging to the rectory thereof, to his wife and his mother for their lives, with remainder to his uncle Rowland Wogan. - l Laud, fol. 30.

In any event the advowson continued in the hands of the Wogans of Wiston until 15 Sept., 1794, when Minor (wife of Thomas Roberts of Haverfordwest) and Susan Wogan (the two coheiresses of John Wogan of Wiston, the last male of his line) entered into an agreement for the sale of the rectory and estate of Wiston, to John Campbell of Stackpole Court, Pems., Esq., whose descendants still own the advowson and estate.

Return to W    Return to Gazatteer


Wolfscastle       Jottings                  (948266)

Originally an Iron-age fortified settlement. Fenton (1808) is reputed to have found Roman Tesserae near here but in about 1080 was the site of a Norman Motte.

CASTRUM LUPI (Wolfscastle - Cas Blaidd, Pembs.)

Item, there is at Castrum Lupi a mansio worth 4s. per annum. 1 caracute of land worth 10s. per annum. There is a certain meadows worth 12s. per annum. There is a certain water mill farmed of old at 10s. paid at the Feast of Nativity of Our Lord. And there are rents of assize of certain tenants paid at the Feast of St. Michael, 64s. Of rent of other tenants paid at the Feast of All 16s. And 10 capons given at the Feast of the Nativity of Our Lord, at 1 1/2 per capon. Pleas and prerequisites of court, 6d. per annum.

Return to W    Return to Gazatteer