E

East Williamson, Eastington, Eglwyswrw, Eweston.

Back to Gazetteer


East Williamson

Churches of Pembrokeshire - Slater.

East Williamson - St Elidyr.

The narrow 13c nave and chancel are divided by a plain pointed arch. A small turret is perched on the west wall. The Church has been heavily restored.

Back to E,    Back to Gazetteer


Eastington by Rhoscrowther

 

Eastington - meaning Ystin Farm - Welsh name Iestyn

unpublished deeds in the PRO [TNA] relate to a place called villa Ystin

"Christine daughter of Howell and widow of William Hystin granted in Villa Hystin to Russell son of Alexander (Not Dated)".

John Ystin granted land here to Henry Russell (13c)

Ystinstone 1297,

Estyngeston 1457,

Estyngiston 1461.

Information from "Non-Celtic Place Names in Wales" by B G Charles.

Small scale but emphatically fortified building, once the home of the Perrot family now adjacent to a 18c farmhouse on the boundary of the Texaco/Chevron oil Refinery.

Acc/to - South Pembrokeshire - M. Mirehouse. Whose family owned it when she wrote her book Jestyn ap Owain ap Hywel Dda (King of South Wales, who died in 948) lived at Jestynton, which he called by his own name, and probably built; he is called Prince Jestyn, and was King Hywel Dda's favourite grandson. King Hywel Dda acquired South Wales, or Dyfed, through his wife Elen, daughter of Llywarch ap Hwfaidd, King of Dyfed. Hwfaidd died in 892, Llywarch  in 905.

When the Normans first overran Pembrokeshire under Arnulph de Montgomery in 1090, Narberth fell to the share of Sir Stephen Perrott, Knt., who built a castle there, but not the one whose ruins we now see; Sir Stephen's Castle was razed to the ground by Grufudd ap Rhys in 1183.

About this time Sir Stephen, by his marriage with Eleanor, daughter and sole heiress of Merchion ap Rhys ap Rhydderch ap Jestyn of Jestynton, acquired a great increase to his property, and appears to have gone to reside at Jestynton. His wife's name is given in some chronicles as Elen, in some as Eleanor; probably in those days it was the same name. His son, Sir Andrew, rebuilt the castle of Narberth, whose ruins still remain; his daughter Catherine married Caradog or Cradock of Newton; the family later took the name of Newton and have connections with Angle and Llanstadwell.

The Perrotts continued to reside at Jestynton for several centuries, until their union with Haroldstone by Peter Perrott's marriage with Alice, heiress of Sir Richard Harold; they then resided at Haroldstone, near Haverford-west, for three centuries, until the time of the famous Sir John Perrott, son of Henry VIII., who became a man of great power in South Wales, owning much property. George Owen speaks of him as of "Halle place in Nangle," and Sir John held Haroldstone and Jestynton by inheritance, and Carew Castle in trust for the King.

Previously to this, Sir Thomas Perrott of Haroldstone first introduced pheasants into Pembrokeshire; they increased to a certain extent, but afterwards "chose other landlords in other places," as the old chronicle quaintly puts it.

Sir Thomas took a leading part in the great Tournament given at Carew Castle by Sir Thomas ap Rhys on St. Georges Day, 1507, and is known to have been present at the landing of Henry VII at Dale, and probably also at the Battle of Bosworth Field. Later he was Gentleman of the Bedchamber to Henry VIII.

His wife was Mary, daughter of James Berkeley (after Sir Thomas's death she married Sir Thomas Jones of Abermarlais).

Sir John Perrott was her son by Henry VIII; reputed to be fiery like his father, both in appearance and temperament. Sir John was born at Haroldstone, but was brought up almost entirely at the Court, being a great favourite with Henry. He was Deputy for Ireland from 1583 to 1588, and lived under three sovereigns: Henry VIII, Edward VI, and Elizabeth. He held the Castle of Carew in trust for the Crown, and was a great man both at Court and in South Wales; but he fell into disgrace in Elizabeth's time, was attainted, and all his property confiscated; he died a prisoner in the Tower in 1592.

It is probable that had he lived he would have been pardoned, as Elizabeth had many times refused to sign the warrant for his execution, saying always, when urged to do so, that he was a "good and loyal subject." He added the great north wing to Carew Castle (some attribute this to Sir Rhys ap Thomas in 1503), and in the inventory of his goods at his attainder is mentioned a quantity of glass "to glaze ye windowes in ye newe buildinge" (this was locked up in a chamber, a glazier at Tewkesbury having the key), also "deale or firr bordes, by estimacion provided for the dyninge chamber of the newe buildinge at Carewe," also "tymber red flamed for some partitions there." There was a most exhaustive list made of all his possessions at Carew at the time of his attainder, which is given in Mr. Edward Law's "History of Little England beyond Wales" at length, and which is most interesting, showing what the furniture and appointments of a great house were in those days; how little change there has been since in some things, how much in others.

Sir John Perrott's sister Jane married William Philipps of Picton, who was grandson of Sir Thomas Philipps of the Kilsant family; this family and the Perrotts inter-married several times.

In the public records is a document consisting of two leaves of paper, dated Haverfordwest, September 7, 1591 (33 Eliz.), setting forth a part of the possessions of Sir John Perrott, Knt., purchased of Sir Thomas Jones, Knt. (who married his mother). Among these are named half the Manor of Nangle (Hall Manor in Nangle), half the Manor of Castlemartin, that of Pwllcrochan, Rhoscrowther, Cocksey, "a parcel of land late the property of Nicholas Dawes,"Lymney in Castlemartin, and Williamston, both purchased also from Nicholas Dawes.

Sir John Perrott's son, Sir Thomas, married Lady Dorothy, sister of Robert Devereux, the ill-fated Earl of Essex. Queen Elizabeth restored Sir John's forfeited property to Sir Thomas, and was about to make him a Baronet when he died, on June 29, 1601. He left an only daughter, Penelope (a son, Roland, died young), who married first William Lewis, and second Sir Robert Naunton, Secretary of State to James I. He died in 1635; his only son, James an infant. In 1624; his only daughter married first Viscount Bayning, second Philip Herbert, afterwards fifth Earl of Pembroke. With Penelope Perrott terminated the direct line of the Perrotts of Pembrokeshire.

Grove, a ruin between Stackpole and Pembroke, formerly belonged to Lloyd of Morril, in North Pembrokeshire. Thomas Lloyd of Morril married Frances, daughter of Hugh Philipps of Jestynton, brother of Sir Richard Philipps. Hugh's father was Sir John Philipps, eleventh Baronet, who was Sheriff in 1595; his mother was Anne, daughter of Sir John Perrott, who brought Jestynton as her dowry.

Later, we find the family of Meares at Jestynton. when William Meares married Grace the sister of Griffith Dawes of Bangeston in 1643. William was Sheriff in 1673 George, his son, succeeded him at Jestynton, and was Sheriff in 1692 (the year Griffith Dawes of Bangeston died). George's great grandson, John, was Sheriff in 1800, and his son John in 1822, who married Charlotte, daughter of Sir Hugh Owen of Orielton.

One square tower and a few walls are all that remain of Jestynton, now called Eastington, and converted into a farm. It is well situated at the east end of Angle Bay, and must have been a fine place in its day; its moat can still be traced, and the one remaining tower is immensely solid and strong. Some think that there is Roman pavement under the turf, but no excavations have so far been made.

Eastington was purchased from John Meares of Plas Llanstephan, Carmarthen, by John Mirehouse, Common Sergeant of the City of London, and owner of Angle and Bangeston, on March 25, 1842, and remains in his family at the present day.

 

Back to E,    Back to Gazetteer


Eglwyswrw (the church of St Wrw) (142385)

Between Newport and Cardigan in a circular, pre-Christian churchyard. Village has interesting buildings include the Sergeant's Inn with the tiny courtroom next door, and a moated manor house called The Court which was the house of David Martin, Bishop of St. David's around the year 1300.

Norman motte and bailey c1080AD.

Eglwyswrw St Cristiolis

The church has medieval masonry but the features are of 1829 and 1883 when a north transept was removed. There was once a chapel near the holy well here but it was destroyed by order of Elizabeth I's Privy Council because Catholics frequented it.

Acc/to Pembrokeshire Parsons.

In 1291 this church, under the name of Ecclesia de Clesserrouw, was assessed for tenths to the king at 4.

The vicarage of El Iwyswrw and the chapels of Uanfair Nantgwyn and Penkelly Vachan, worth per annum in fruits oblations and tithes of wool, cheese, honey, &c., 12 2s. 8d, formed part of the possessions of the Abbey of St Dogmaels - (Valor Eccl.), and on the dissolution of that house came into the hands of the Crown.

On 10 Mar, 1537, the rectory of Eglwyswrw was leased by the Crown to John Bradshawe of Ludlow, Salop. - State Papers.

In 1594 the Queen was patroness of the living. - Owen's Pem.

Vicaria ibidem unde abbas Sancti Dogmaelis est patronus et dominus Morganus vicarius, valet communibus annis 73s. 4d. Inde decima 7s. 4d. - Valor Eccl.

Under the heading "Livings Discharged":- Eglos Eirrow (Eglwys Wrw) (St Cristiolus). Abb. St. Dogmael's Propr. The Prince of Wales. Clear yearly value, 16; King's Books, 3 13s. 4d. - Bacon's Liber Regis.

On 18 March, 1881, license was granted for the performance of divine service in the Sunday School within 100 yards of the church during the restoration of the church.

On 28 May, 1883, a faculty was issued confirming the restoration of the church.

In 1594 the free chapel of Penkelly Vychan was in decay. - Owen's Pem., Pt. ii, p. 312.

In a list, compiled about 1594, of chapels formerly erected for pilgrimages, the greater number of which were then in ruins, appears the name of "Capell Erow in Eglosserowe." - Owen's Pem., Pt. II., p. 5,og.

Fenton asserts that Eglwyswrw Church was dedicated to St. Erw, and adds, on the authority of a MS. of George Owen, in his possession: "In the reign of Queen Elisabeth there was a sort of chantry chapel in the churchyard, wherein on the south side was shewn the tomb of the saint in hewn stone. The parishioners never buried in the chapel, from a superstitious belief that corpses there interred would in the night time be ejected." As however George Owen in the same MS. (Owen's Pem., Pt. II., p. 509) mentions Eglwyswrw as being a vicarage, it is possible that Capel Erow was this chantry chapel.

Browne Willis in his Parochiale Wallicana ascribes the dedication of Eglwyswrw to St. Cristiolus, and enumerates Capel Erw and Pencelli Vechan, as well as the chantry chapel in the churchyard, as subordinate chapels to Eglwyswrw Church.

Acc/to A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1849 - S. Lewis

EGLWYS-WRW (EGLWYS-EIRW), a parish, in the union of Cardigan, hundred of Kemmes, county of Pembroke, South Wales, 6 miles (SSW.) from Cardigan, on the road to Haverfordwest; containing 560 inhabitants.

This parish anciently formed an inferior lordship, dependent on the superior one of Kemmes.

It is intersected by the river Nevern, and is included in a very mountainous district, of which the most remarkable height is that called Percelly, forming the centre of a long range extending across the county in a direction from east to west. The summit of the mountain commands a prospect of great extent; and over this elevated range passed the ancient Via Flandrica, or "Flemish Way," a Roman road which has obtained that appellation from the erroneous supposition of its having been constructed by the Flemings, who settled in this part of the principality in the reigns of Henry I. and Henry II.

The parish comprises 3664 acres; it is almost entirely inclosed and under cultivation, and the soil is in general fertile. The village, which is situated near the base of the Precelly mountains, is one of the most pleasing in the county, and contains a good inn and several respectable houses. The scenery in the neighbourhood is bold, and finely varied, and the hills are richly clothed with wood.

Berllan is an elegant mansion, beautifully situated in grounds which are tastefully laid out, and adorned with luxuriant plantations.

A fair is held on the Monday before November 22nd.

The living is a discharged vicarage, rated in the King's books at 3 13s 4d and endowed with 200 royal bounty, and 200 parliamentary grant; patron, the Lord Chancellor; impropriators, John Davies, and George Griffiths, Esqrs., whose tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of 170, and who are also possessed of a glebe of 30a. 1r. 14p. valued at 21 10s per annum: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of 80, with a glebe of 25a. 27p., valued at 15 10s per annum, and a glebehouse.

The church is dedicated to St. Eirw and in the time of Elizabeth there was a chantry chapel in the churchyard, said to have contained the tomb of this saint.

The Baptists have a place of worship in the parish; and two Sunday schools are held, one of them in connection with the Baptists, and the other with the Calvinistic Methodists.

A sum of 20 per annum was left to the poor of Eglwys-Wrw by John Jones, of Pantyderri, in the year 1729, but the bequest is at the present time unproductive.

Near the church is a large tumulus.

Back to E,    Back to Gazetteer


Eweston        (882236)

iron-age fortified farmhouse guarding the old road which lead to the fording place.

Back to E,    Back to Gazetteer