F

Fishguard, Flimston, Freshwater East, Freshwater West, Freystrop.

Return to Gazetteer


Fishguard     (Aberwaun)    (958370)

North Pembrokeshire's main shopping centre, occupying an undulating clifftop site and linked to the villages of Abergwaun. (Lower Town) in the mouth of the Gwaun Valley and Goodwick around the terminus of the railway line. Lower town, which must surely be one of the most attractive coastal settlements in Wales, with its old limewashed cottages and very narrow streets, was once a busy shipbuilding and herring-fishing centre, and it is still popular with fishing and boating enthusiasts. The main town owes most of its growth to the last 150 years. There is a good shopping centre, and the Market Square is the centre of affairs. The Royal Oak Inn claims the distinction of having been the place where the surrender papers were signed following the Last Invasion of Britain in 1797.

Carreg Wastad    (927406)

Commemorative memorial to mark site of the last invasion of Britain 1797.

Martin de Tours granted Aberwaun to Jordan de Cantington along with the surrounding area which came to form the Lordship of Cemaes.

St Mary's Church - present building dates from the 1857 but an earlier church existed from c1300.

The outline of a market place can be detected in the street patterns.

The Fishguard Fort built in 1781 of bricks and stone on a headland north of the Town.

An American privateer Stephen Manhant (Not John Paul Jones as is often quoted) had bombarded the town in 1779 before being chased off by a local smuggler.

The privy Council approved a local request and at the outbreak of hostilities with France in 1793 allocated some finance for it. It consisted of a gun platform with ammunition storage and Guard room. Three Invalid soldiers were sent to man the garrison -- but were little use when the French landed as they only had three rounds of ammunition -- but they refused indignantly to spike their guns when Colonel Knox, in command of the Fishguard Fencibles marched his men smartly away from the scene of action. (1797).

Lower town was used for the filming of "Under Milk Wood".

Royal Oak -- was the place where surrender papers were signed following the last invasion of Britain in 1797. In Churchyard near lies Jemima Nicholas (the Welsh Heroine) who is reputed to have rounded up a bunch of Frenchmen with a pitchfork.

Fishguard was the home of Richard Fenton 18c historian.

Fishguard & Social -- The Scenery, Antiquities and Biography of South Wales - Benj Heath Malkin 1804.

The town of Fiscard is so filthy, so ill built and so uncivilized as almost to be interesting on these very accounts. One generation of fishermen, mariners and smugglers, has succeeded another without the knowledge or the energy to avail itself of natural advantage.

The principle exports at present are oats and butter.

They import goods from Bristol, culm, coal, lime and timber. The herring fishery has been much on the decline of late years. They seldom cure any for exportation, as the capture frequently will not suffice to answer the demand of the country for any article , which, with potatoes constitutes the food of the lower classes.

The Church is a most mean and squalid building without either spire or tower. It was made the prison of the French troops after their capture in the last war, nor could any place of confinement more miserable have been devised.

Acc/to Pembrokeshire Parsons.

This Vicarage was part of the possessions of the Abbey of St. Dogmaels, and on the dissolution of that Abbey came into the hands of the Crown.

Described as Fysgard, this church was assessed at 8 in 1291 for tenths to the King, the amount payable being 16s - Taxatio.

Fyshyr ngegard Vicatia. - David Mendus clericus vicarius perpetuus ibidem annuatim percipit tertiam partem ormlium frugurn oblacionum et aliorum emolimentorum ibidem. Et valet de dicta tercia parte iiij] iiijd cum vicara et gleba ibidem et est ex collacione infrascripti abbatis [Abbot of St. Dogmaels, Inde sol" in procuracionibus quolibet tercio anno in visitacione ordinaria 2rija. Et in visitacione archidiaconi quolibet anno winjd. S11mma ijs xjd. Et remanet clare 4 0s. 5d. Inde decima 8s. 0d Valor Eccl.

Under the heading "Livings Discharged":- Fishgard (Aber Gwayn) alias Fishingard alias Fishguard V. (St. Mary). Prox. quolibet tertio armo, IS. Visit. archidiac quolibet anno, 1s 11d Habet snnuatim tert. part. fruct. and oblat., &c. Prince of Wales; Abb. St. Dog-waells Propr. Clear yearly value, 16, 3. King's Books, 4 0s. 5d. - Bacon's Liber Regis.

On 4th July, 1855, the Infant National Schoolroom at Fishguard was licensed for divine service until the church, then being rebuilt, was completed. lthe church was entirely rebuilt, and was opened by Bishop Connop Thirlwall on 22 July, 1857. - Arch. Caleb., ser. v., vol. v.,

The subordinate chapels to Fishguard Church were Capel Llanvihangel (dedicated to St. Michael), Capel y Drindod (Holy Trinity), Llanust (Ust), and Llanvarti (St. Martin), the last mentioned being the old site of Fishguard Vicarage. - Paroch. Wall., p. 26.

Capell trindod in Fishguard is mentioned as having originally been a pilgrimage chapel.Owen's Pem., Pt. II., p. 509.

Return to F       Return to Gazetteer


Flimston

Flimston Chapel - on the Castlemartin Range - Vaulted Chapel - became a barn - restored in 1903 and again after WW2 - services held 2 or 3 times a year in summer.

Lambton family memorials in the Churchyard, made of ice-borne boulders collected in the neighbourhood.

(Churches of Pembrokeshire - Slater).

Flimston   St Martin.

In the middle of an army range is a disused vaulted chapel. It served as a barn for many years but was made into a chapel again in 1903.

Flimston - earliest part - typical South Pembrokeshire Hall House with a round stone chimney and a vaulted cellar or undercroft.

William Marechal, Earl of Pembroke, who died in 1219, left to the monks of Pembroke, among other tithes, that of King's Mill at Castlemartin. The remains of the castell of Castlemartin can still be seen in a field north of the Pound. It would seem to have been an earth fort of moderate size. Of the five roads meeting at the pound the one leading in the direction of Linney Head by is still called Bull Street; then, as now, it led from the Castell to Bluck's Pwll, under Linney Head. Castle Lady and Walman's Hill, close by, were both formerly earth-forts.

In 1244 we find mention of Sir John de Castro Martini, and again about 1270. John de Castro signed the Charter of Philip de Angulo as a witness in 1298, and others of the name are spoken of in 1324 and in 1405. The Earls of Pembroke held the 'Castell' in their own hands, with its associated earth-forts at Bulliber and Flimston, together with King's Mill and the earth-fort adjacent to it, having a Knight Resident in charge of them. At the death of Earl Aymer de Valence in 1324 the Manor of Castlemartin was worth 102. Castlemartin was an exceedingly rich and valuable corn-growing district. Members of the family of de Castro Martini took part in the Irish Invasion under Henry II and Strongbow, and some remained and settled there, founding families; in later times the daughter of an Irishman, Sir Nicholas de Castlemartin, married Sir Richard Wellesley, an ancestor of the Dukes of Wellington.  

According to an account in 1834 - the Church of Castlemartin underwent a thorough rebuilding in 1824-5.

Flimston was also a knightly residence under the Earls of Pembroke; William le. Fleming, from whom it probably derived its name, held it in 1246, Walter de Castro in 1324.

The chapel at Flimston was described as being devoted to farm purposes in 1800. Archeologia Cambrensis on 1880 described it: Two floors for storing corn have been inserted. In the cart shed beneath the piscena and sedilia are still to be seen in the south wall. The roof is sharply vaulted like many churches in the neighbourhood. A small turret remains on the western gable. The stair to the first floor now occupies what may have been a sacristy.

Freshwater East     (885990)

 A large bay located about 2 miles south of Lamphey.

There is a fine sandy beach backed by sand dunes, that used to be used by Pembroke Dockyard workers as a holiday place during the school holidays. Older workers used to tell stories of them going out at weekends to visit their wives and children who spent the whole holiday camping there mostly using ex-army WW1 bell tents furnished with tables, chairs beds and even sofa's, hurricane lamps and paraffin stoves for light and cooking. Today there is a holiday home development and a Caravan park. The County Council wishes to concentrate various types of holiday accommodation here. Reasonable access to the beach, but a shortage of summer parking.

Originally part of the Bishop of St David's manor of Llamphey.

(Churches of Pembrokeshire -- Slater).

There is a small ruined chapel-of-ease under Llamphey parish, probably 13c.

Return to F       Return to Gazetteer


Freshwater West       (885994).

A magnificent bay in the far west of the Castlemartin Peninsula.

Glorious empty sands, massive sand dunes, and fascinating rocky shores to explore. Frainslake Sands, in the south, lies within the Army firing range and is out of bounds. Do not bathe here as there are high waves, currents and undertows. There are also quicksands in places.

Close to the road is a restored seaweed collector hut - once used for drying the special seaweed destined to become laver bread.

The dunes cover both Mesolithic and Bronze Age sites. Traces of submerged forest 6000 years old occasionally are exposed.

Devils Quoit Dolmen is about 100 yards over a low fence opposite the drive entrance to Broomhill farm on the Angle Road. About 3 feet above the ground, it has an enormous capstone supported on one side by two uprights. On the other side the third upright has collapsed.

Freystrop

Freystrop - St Justinian

The small main body and north transept have a stone roofed squint passage between them but were mostly rebuilt in 1874. The font is probably of c1200.

Acc/to Pembrokeshire Parsons.

This rectory belonged to the Priory of Pill, near Hubberston. Since the dissolution of that priory the patronage has continued in the hands of the Crown.

Freystroppe. - Ecclesia parrvehialis ibidem ex collacione prioris de Pulla unde Thomas Stephen est rector habens ibidem unam rectoriam curr terris dominicalibus. Et dicta rectoria cum fructibus et emolimentis ibidem valet per annum vjli. Inde sol" in visitacione ordinalia quclibet tercio anno ssjd. St in visitacione archidsconi quolibet atmo pro surodalibus et procusaeionibus vs. Et remanet clare 113S. 7d. Inde decima 11S. 4d. -  Valor Eccl.

Under the heading "Livings Discharged":- Freystrop. alias Frestrop R. Ordinario quolibet tertio armo 8d. Archidiac. quolibet almo 5s. gd. Prior de Pulla olim Patr.; The Prince of Wales. Clear yearly value,20. 40 King's Books, 5 13s. gd. - Bacon's Liber Regis.

On 10 June, 1656, the union of the parishes of Llan-gwn, Rosemarket, and Freystrop was approved by the Commonwealth. - State Papers.

On 14 March, 1873, a faculty was granted for the removal of cottages an the glebe of this church.

Return to F        Return to Gazetteer